KLX140 won't start

My wife's klx140 will not start. I can hear the starter motor and the engine does WANT to start but it just won't. I washed it, and after I washed it, I went to start it to let the water evaporate off the engine. I usually use the throttle when it's cold to start it but when I let go of the throttle, it turned off. (That's normal when it's cold) but this time, it didn't want to start up anymore after that. The battery is fine and so is the starter. The spark plug looks okay too. I checked the air filter, and everything seemed okay. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Carb, fuel petcock, fuel line, valves? What could it be? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Did you use a pressure washer when you washed it? Ours did the same thing after a pressure washing. The next day it started up fine, not sure what the problem was. I was happy because it finally convined my husband that pressure washing is not the best way to wash the bikes (even tho I had told him that before).

No, I don't have a pressure washer but the hose DOES have a nozzle where you can adjust the stream and amount of water that comes out. I had it at full blast. I REALLY hope it's something simple like that. When you washed yours, how many times did you try to start it afterwards?

Did you use a pressure washer when you washed it? Ours did the same thing after a pressure washing. The next day it started up fine, not sure what the problem was. I was happy because it finally convined my husband that pressure washing is not the best way to wash the bikes (even tho I had told him that before).

When you say that yours did the same thing, could you also hear the starter motor and everything? Did you try to start it a lot of times?

Sounds like maybe you got the airfilter all wet and it may have sucked some moisture into the carb.

Check the filter to be sure it is dry, then check the pilot jet to be sure it is not clogged.

Yeah, I'm having a guy look at the bike tomorrow. Today it started up, but turned off again after 30 seconds??

When you say that yours did the same thing, could you also hear the starter motor and everything? Did you try to start it a lot of times?

Yes, it was turning over, it just wasnt firing it up. Tried a whole bunch of times, till the battery started sounding weak. Eventually it did fire up, but it ran rough for a little while, then cleared up.

• 4 months later...

My missus has a klx140 too and it is terrible to start. I need to make sure the fuel is super fresh and I bleed it each time I stop it. Run it completely dry. However, now I have a battery problem. The battery is fine (had it tested) but it seems to leak voltage somewhere and goes flat in no time. Has anyone had a an amperage/voltage leak issue in their 2011 KLX 140?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2017 at 5:32 PM, lynndell copeland said:

I bought mu grandson a brand new 2018 kaw,l.it took me a hour to start it.it tried abd rgen just dies.what the hell.it doesn't  have a mile on it.

The bike is very cold blooded.  Keep trying full choke with a bit of throttle.   My son got a 2018 for Christmas and its barely gotten into the teens since then.  Once its warm (5-8) minutes it starts and runs without any problem.

RP