HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dumper_uk

wr450 reliable?

8 posts in this topic

HI, I am considering a wr450 to replace my trusty old drz,I have heard a few horror stories about engines going bang on yz450's from people I know who race them(motox).

Have any of you guys had any real engine problems? (except woodruff key)

Any input is appreciated...thanks :)

I have had mine since April and raced it in 6 races so far, plus lots of trail miles without a problem. What were the failures you had heard of??

I have seen several YZ450's go bang. everyone was connecting rod letting go.

I would not worry about it with the WR 450. The YZ version revs a fair bit higher than the WR, that is why the rods are breaking. I have had my WR450 for months and put a couple thousand miles on it and have had only one problem with it. (gas tank cracked).

Thats the problem I heard about..con rods failing...

I guess the wr motor isn't quite as highly strung as the YZ,and I prob won't be revving it that hard anyway...

Owned my WR450 since march. I do quite a bit of trail/play riding and motocrossed the whole season without a single mechanical problem.I probably have around 2500 miles thus far. My bike's serial # is 357, I haven't had the woodruff key problem and refused it when the local shop offered to perform it for free.

I have loads of km's on my WR450 and bar the starter relay going on it, (which only meant I had to kick start it [once]) the thing has just run perfectly. This is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

Go blue !!!! :D:D:D:):D

BTW: The best mod I have made to it so far (other than the Pro Cicuit Ti4 Pipe) has been an eibach rear spring, set to my weight (5.4kg spring) this really transforms it into a work of art to ride.

And yes to the observant, my picture is really old .... way more goodies on it now :D