Float bowl removal 2007 WR450f

Thanks to some experts here; I now have my jetting worked out. Just wondering if the float bowl can be removed without taking the carb off. Its the 07 model with the chunky aluminum frame??

It can be removed on the bike, with the right tools.

For the experienced wrench, it is worth the time saving. If you are not 100% sure of your ability, tend to have bad luck dropping small parts that get lost forever in the bowels of the garage, then pull the carb. I am 100% confident in my ability but the invisible gremlins force me to do the carb on the bench when woirking on an alloy framed bike. Once you have done it a dozen times, the carb removal and install takes less than thirty minutes. I spend more time than that looking for my marbles.

It can be removed on the bike, with the right tools.

For the experienced wrench, it is worth the time saving. If you are not 100% sure of your ability, tend to have bad luck dropping small parts that get lost forever in the bowels of the garage, then pull the carb. I am 100% confident in my ability but the invisible gremlins force me to do the carb on the bench when woirking on an alloy framed bike. Once you have done it a dozen times, the carb removal and install takes less than thirty minutes. I spend more time than that looking for my marbles.

William - Isn't the starter motor in the front of the engine on the Al framed 250s? You have a lot more room to work with under the carb with the 250s as you don't have the starter motor to deal with. On the 450s it's pretty much directly under the carb taking away precious access/maneuvering room. I'd love for someone (preferably an owner of an 07+ 450 who has experience working with these suckers) to show me how to remove and re-install the float bowl with the carb in place.

I have an 07' WR450F. For me it is not worth the frustration to try and mess with taking the float off or removing jets with the carb on the bike. I don't want to risk stripping threads and loosing small parts. I've found that removing the carb takes very little time after doing it multiple times, and I have it down to a science now. I know that some guys on here are pretty good at messing with jets and removing the float bowl with the carb on the bike though. I believe it takes some enginuity by making some special tools and such to get into those tight spaces.

Well....like I said in the OP's previous thread, there is no need to pull the carb to take off the float bowl.

Agreed, mike & william1, it isn't easy without the right tools, just the way I like to do it.

I use a 'Zebra' ultra fine ratchet with a 3mm allen wrench for this purpose. It would probably be less hassle to pull the carb without it.

PLEASE...SXP & JDL - We all have our own opinions. I'll respect yours....

I'll post a pic when I get back to my shop, for anyone who is interested in my 'tool'. ?:prof:?

And this is it.....784c2c13.jpg

6f0846b3.jpg

Nice Tool! ?

I may have to take a crack at doing it with the carb on again at some point. I have really bad luck with loosing small parts sometimes though, then I spend the next hour fishing around for them! :prof:?

PLEASE...SXP & JDL - We all have our own opinions. I'll respect yours....

Oh, I respect your opinion. But (and this is to William too), have either of you done this on an 07+ WR450, or are you just shooting from the hip based on your ownership experience with a 250. Like it or not, they are different bikes. If you tell me you have successfully done it on a 450 in less time and with less aggravation then it would take to remove the carb using the "long way" , then I obviously have something to learn. My beef is with generalizations that what worked on your 250 will work on the 450, thats all.

Edited by SXP

Well...I sold my last '07 450 in 2009. Whether it is either more difficult or more time consuming one way or the other, is kind of a personal thing. What appears a b**** of a job for one person may well be straight forward for another.

On a 450...it'll take me about 30 - 40 mins pulling and replacing the carb. Removing the bowl with it in place and on again about 20 mins.

Agreed...it is a bit easier on a 250 to do in situ, but the method is still the same. Stretch out a cloth underneath the carb (catches the bits that fall) and try it sometime - just for the hell of it. You may or may not like it....but like i have said, thats up to you.

Well...I sold my last '07 450 in 2009. Whether it is either more difficult or more time consuming one way or the other, is kind of a personal thing. What appears a b**** of a job for one person may well be straight forward for another.

On a 450...it'll take me about 30 - 40 mins pulling and replacing the carb. Removing the bowl with it in place and on again about 20 mins.

Agreed...it is a bit easier on a 250 to do in situ, but the method is still the same. Stretch out a cloth underneath the carb (catches the bits that fall) and try it sometime - just for the hell of it. You may or may not like it....but like i have said, thats up to you.

I've tried it and gave up. Too aggravating for my patience level, and frankly seemed impossible to me. But, if you guys say you've done it I'll take your word for it:thumbsup: