HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
125Wolf

YZ 250 Kickstarter 1998

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody Im new to this forum. I just purchase a 1998 Yz 250 and notice on my friends yz250 2001 model that his kickstarter uses a ratchet that locks in and makes it easier to start. Was it only fitted to the 1999 and onwards? or is there something wrong with my kickstarter. Also when I put my bike into gear it start crawling forward. Iv ajusted all the clutch cable settings and its still the same doesnt matter if the bike is cold or warmed up. Great forum you guy have :smirk:

don't know about the kick starter but for the clutch it could be notching in the basket and it could be the lever, what I did to mine was bend the lever forward a little that way you can pull it in farther so the clutch will fully disengage. if it is notching you will have to file the basket here is an article on how to do that.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=922634 hope this helps and welcome to thumper talk:thumbsup:

Thanks man will check it out. Only starts crawling when it idles but if I rev the motor up abit then its fine

...when I put my bike into gear it start crawling forward. Iv ajusted all the clutch cable settings and its still the same doesnt matter if the bike is cold or warmed up.
Most every Yamaha I've ridden would creep when in gear. That drag also makes it tricky to get the trans into neutral (when the motor is running), and almost impossible to kickstart the motor to life when in gear!

As far as I know, that's just the way they are. :smirk:

I agree with mstyer that it sounds like your kickstart lever just needs to be disassembled and cleaned/repaired.

If you need a complete replacement, Yamaha used the same kick lever on the YZ250 from 1988 to 1998.

:smirk: