HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
by11

drz400s chain and sprockets

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 DRZ400s with about 9,000 miles. I'm pretty sure it still has the stock chain and sprockets...520 chain and 15/44 sprocket set-up. How many miles can I expect to get out of this current stock set-up? Should I replace soon to ensure long and strong running? Any suggestions? I ride it mostly on the road and the occasional gravel road and seldom on the trail. New to this cool game and would appreciate some experienced advice. Thanks a lot......

hey are you happy with your gearing right now for the riding you do? gearing is very much a personal opinion so i would look at if your happy with what your at or if you would rather be in your powerband a little faster or slower and go from there!:smirk:

9000 miles is probably near the end of their life.

really depends on the usage. hard off-road use will kill them long before that.

replacement is usually based on actual condition, not miles.

how do they look? c'shaft sprocket fish-hooking? wear on teeth of rear sprocket? pull the chain away from the rear sprocket & 3:00 position - does it expose more than 1/2 of the sprocket teeth height?

have you made frequent adjustments recently?

if yes to any of those & considering your mileage - replace the set.