Engine is out of bike, what mods should happen

I hit a boulder, cracked my stator cover and that piece got into the engine. I am having it torn down to make sure the metal didn't hurt anything important, and to find where it is.

So, what should happen here to give me an advantage over my riding buddies in the racing we like to do on the fast fireroads? ?

YZ cams?

Overbore?

Weak links inside the motor that should be addressed?

I prefer stock, but if it is apart and things can be done, I would rather they happen now.

Thanks

Porting! If your considering Hot cams then a good porting job by someone with a flow bench will increase the power gain had by the cams. porting will give you better acceleration and top speed without significantly affecting reliability.

If your machine shop does not have a flow bench and has not developed a porting plan (developed by testing) for the five valve head then find a new shop because they will be guessing with your money.

The best time to do this is when you are have your valve seats ground.

What year is your bike? Install a new timing chain while your in there.

If you overbore then porting will contribute even more.

It only depends on your budget.

Sorry about missing details.

2008 WR450 with a low side estimate of 40 hours on the bike.

My budget is ok for the project. I have the money to build a stupid fast powerful scary motor, but I sure like knowing it will start every time I push the button(stock).

I am getting ahead of myself with this topic. Until the motor is taken apart, I don't know what is/may be wrong with it.

I guess if I took the snorkels out of the airbox I might gain another hp and I could get that last bike length back.

I'm ok with them being faster on the fireroads. NO ONE beats my streetbike, N/A to N/A.

Really! So you have not taken the snorkel out of the air box? have you taken the ring baffle out of the muffler? have you re jetted with a new needle and jets like the James Dean kit or the GYTR jet kit that comes with the AIS block off kit. then there is the grey wire mod? Have you replaced the throttle stop or are you running around with only half throttle?

Have you not done these items? if not you are cheating yourself out of a whole lot of power for free.

Have you read the last three sticky notes posted at the top of this forum. I recommend you read those because you will be getting lots of good info and a ton of power for free!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

All free (and low buck) mods done except the snorkels. The bike is jetted perfectly and if I do those then I have to screw around with the carb more. I'm happy with it.

Just spoke with the guy that has my motor, unless there is damage it is going back together stock. No need to mess with a bulletproof motor.