Why KTM over others??

Alright KTM fans, if I was in the market to purchase a new dirt bike, why would you say to go with KTM over the rest of the pack (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi)?

Is the quality better? Are the bikes easier to work on?

Please explain.

I've always owned Honda's and thought that they were the greatest bikes on earth, but never really thought about KTM's.

I had this same question until I rode one. They ride so well, it feels like the bike was made for you to ride it. Second to that, whatever ur riding style I guarantee u can find one that fits you... that's why ktm offers so many models. I am a firm believer now in the pumpkin...

Well, if you want an updated smoker, your only choice (besides exotics) is KTM--their smokers are everywhere around here. I bought one myself in 09 after decades of J bike ownership. I still have a Suzuki (which I have no plans to sell), but I love the KTM!

The other plus is that they come with really nice parts stock (braided steel brake lines, hydraulic clutch, easy access filter, wide pegs, brembo brakes, etc.).

IMO, most people pick KTM because they think the bike is going to make them a better rider or because "since so many people have them they must be the best". The bikes do have high end components on them, they are purpose built machines (which is few and far between these days) and they hold their resale value well. Just because the masses ride orange doesn't mean it's the best bike out there, just look at how many KTMs get beat on the SX/MX track (can't wait for the reasons why). Granted, they do steal the show offroad but look at the numbers of how many people ride them.

Bottomline, don't rule out the Husqvarna, GasGas or TM line of bikes, if you are looking for a smoker. All three are top quality bikes just like KTMs with high end components. I ride Husky and beat many orange bikes in my local series.

Alright KTM fans, if I was in the market to purchase a new dirt bike, why would you say to go with KTM over the rest of the pack (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi)?

Is the quality better? Are the bikes easier to work on?

Please explain.

I've always owned Honda's and thought that they were the greatest bikes on earth, but never really thought about KTM's.

If a smoker is your thing, KTM is where it's at, they offer multiple variations of the same engine displacement, so you just gotta find the model that fits your needs.

They've got their Japanese competition beat hands down with their variations and setups you can choose from in a woods bike.

If thumper is your thing, they've got the dual sport right off the showroom floor.

For woods, I haven't ridden anything better than KTM. GasGas is of equal quality and caliber, but I buy used all the time, and it's not like there's an abundance of them for sale in my area.....(actually, only seen a handful in person, and they weren't for sale).

I'm not an MX guy, so I can't say what causes them to fall short there.....the numbers show they should be pulling rank (at least their HP numbers are always up there and then some).

hmmmmm, let's see: virtually every year KTM updates/upgrades their bikes ( and uses top quality parts) and most of the others just change graphics and significantly upgrade a couple times a decade. do you want a BMW or a Mazda? there is a reason why so many of us go orange offroad.

Joe

One piece of advice I would offer is that if you do go KTM pick something from the last few years so you'll get decent suspension. KTM's biggest weakness until recently has been in the suspension department.

If you're going 4 stroke (especially MX) I wouldn't necessarily drink the orange Koolaid. The new KTM's are great bikes, but you can't go wrong with any current offering from the big 5. If you're going 2T KTM would definitely be choice, because the Japs have just simply given up on them.

Rider counts for the biggest part of what makes a bike fast, dont loose sight of this fact, but KTM make a fantastic product, hydraulic clutch, Brembo brake components,

braided lines, e-start, great ergo's, great graphics, easy to work on and maintain, awesome to ride.

My only groan would be the suspenders. PDS is easy on the pocket and time spent lubing, I resprung both front and rear with heavier springs, then had a suspension tech set them up, and what difference, but I cant help thinking Showa forks and Fox rear would make them near perfect.

As a ready to race out of the box bush weapon, they are hard to beat, but I still get my head spun by the Red, Yellow, Green and Blue 450 boy's every now and then.

Resale, build quality, reliabilty, thats what turned me to team orange.

If KTM gets their suspension competitive, they will be a real consideration. Suspension is the single biggest factor for me, so KTM has never had a chance of getting my money.

I read an interview with a KTM engineer that said that the reason KTM used aftermarket parts is because they didn't trust themselves to build comparable durable components in-house.

The build quality of KTM is miserable compared to Japanese bikes. God bless them, because I fix them.

When I make an observation like that based on years of riding all of the bikes, the KTM crowd will try to shout you down, call you names, start personal attacks, etc, because they've been bamboozled by marketing, and everything they own is orange, and they are now too embarassed to admit that they just haven't tried anything else for so long that KTM is now a habit, not an educated choice.

I like brand loyalty, and admire a company that can bring it out, but performance matters more than color to me.

Leardriver, please post the interview, no offence but you've gone on several anti ktm rants, so please post it, all the companies use name brand products, from rims to brake components, not just ktm

we have subforums here for every brand, it's pretty obvious ktm has very good build quality, just spend some time reading the subforums, I've owned/own bikes from the big 4 and ktm, in my opinion ktm has the best build quality of the bunch, it's completely obvious if you own both

as for the suspension, 2006+ work for me, I prefer linkless as it's lighter and much easier to maintain, I cant tell diff the diff between my ktm and my crf's suspension, I revalve for my riding, the key is to use someone that specializes in KTM suspension, I recommend ktmworld if you ride offroad

It really depends what you like.There is no best brand of bike any more than there is a best brand of car.If you are a good rider you can ride anything well.Whats important is you keep your bike clean and well maintained and the bike will not let you down.There are tons of great used bikes out there that have spent most of there lives as garage candy.And no you wont see alot of TM,BERGS,or GASGAS bikes for sale people become personally attached to these machines so they rarely make it to the resale market.

In the past 2.5 years, I have owned a RM125, YZ400F, 2004 Husky TE250, 2001 XR400, 2001 WR426, and a 2002 KDX220. I bought a 2007 KTM 300 XC a few weeks ago after riding friend's KTMs a few times. For me, it was a huge step up in handling over any of the bikes mentioned. It was a huge weight savings over all but the 125 and the KDX. A sub 230 lb bike with excellent power and handling made me a better rider. KTM makes the most "race ready, out of the box" bike on the market, IMO.

If KTM gets their suspension competitive, they will be a real consideration. Suspension is the single biggest factor for me, so KTM has never had a chance of getting my money.

I read an interview with a KTM engineer that said that the reason KTM used aftermarket parts is because they didn't trust themselves to build comparable durable components in-house.

The build quality of KTM is miserable compared to Japanese bikes. God bless them, because I fix them.

When I make an observation like that based on years of riding all of the bikes, the KTM crowd will try to shout you down, call you names, start personal attacks, etc, because they've been bamboozled by marketing, and everything they own is orange, and they are now too embarassed to admit that they just haven't tried anything else for so long that KTM is now a habit, not an educated choice.

I like brand loyalty, and admire a company that can bring it out, but performance matters more than color to me.

What aspect are you talking about, just the suspension or the whole bike?

If you are talking suspension, I don't think you'll get too many people arguing that WP is as good or better than Showa or KYB, however the forks have gotten pretty darn close the last few years. The PDS is hit or miss, depending on where you ride. If you're an MXer, it seems to be that a linkage is necessary, but off-road it isn't bad, but it is more sensitive to rider weight than a linkage bike and does require a bit more thought to get set-up right. The linkage does work better for the C/B guy who doesn't want to mess with different spring rates or clicker settings too much. Once you get to the A level, you're doing all that regardless of brand, so it's a moot point there.

With the rest of the bike, I'd argue that a KTM is a superior bike. I'd like to here what you've found (other than suspension) where KTM is clearly lacking compared to the Japanese brands. Sure, there have been a few issues with oil migration on the latest generation engines with separate engine/trans oil, but you don't here any other issues that are out of the norm compared to the Japanese. There certainly have been less valve issues with KTMs than there have been with Hondas. You can't tell me that anyone builds a better smoker, even going back a few years when all the brands were still selling them here.

The reality is that in the off-road scene, KTM is the most popular bike for a reason, and it's not because people drink the orange Kool-Aid, it's because KTM builds a bike that works in that environment. I know plenty of guys who've left KTM and come back after a year or 2. If we're talking MX, then it is a different story. KTM isn't far behind, but for the average guy, it's hard to argue that it's the better choice, but again, that comes down to the suspension issue more than anything else. Now that the '11 and up KTMs come with linkage, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out on the amateur level. At the pro level, it's about the testing and set-up time the teams put in, not the bike they start with.

Oh yeah, to the interview with the KTM engineer, show me a top level team of any brand that doesn't rely on outside/aftermarket help. Do you think Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, or Yamaha do everything in house? They're all using outside partners, just some keep it more hidden than others. If you need a dozen specialty forged cranks and rods, do you try to do that in-house or work with a firm that specializes in just that?

Mega, I haven't even come close to an anti-KTM rant! A rant is an unreasonable, unscientific emotional outburst, and I don't have the ability to behave like that. Saying that they aren't the best is not even remotely the same as saying that you don't like them, don't enjoy them, etc. It's a matter of degrees. and no, I won't do everyone's homework for them with interview research.

That's what I mean about the negative comments if you attack a sacred cow. I'm not a hater of any brand. I am a careful scrutinizer, though. If KTM was the only brand available, I'd look forward to every ride. There are just better quality choices available for me, because I seek out excellence, not group think. I'm glad that they exist, because it shows a clear contrast between brands.

Mega, I haven't even come close to an anti-KTM rant! A rant is an unreasonable, unscientific emotional outburst, and I don't have the ability to behave like that. Saying that they aren't the best is not even remotely the same as saying that you don't like them, don't enjoy them, etc. It's a matter of degrees. and no, I won't do everyone's homework for them with interview research.

That's what I mean about the negative comments if you attack a sacred cow. I'm not a hater of any brand. I am a careful scrutinizer, though. If KTM was the only brand available, I'd look forward to every ride. There are just better quality choices available for me, because I seek out excellence, not group think. I'm glad that they exist, because it shows a clear contrast between brands.

Umm, the earlier quote doesn't seem to be based on scientific study and does sound like an emotional outburst. The last time I checked, you didn't find the words miserable and bamboozled in too many scientific books and journals. If you want to back up your earlier post, lets talk specifics in a scientific way.