'00 426 notched clutch basket - options?

Don't get mad at me for asking about '00 426 clutches - there's a lot of stuff in threads here already, and that's my problem - there's a little too much for me to digest.

So I know that there are some part swaps with '01 plates and rods that are popular. I know that aftermarket baskets for the '00 are non-existent.

My basket has notched fingers. I would like a lighter pull and smoother engagement.

I bought my bike used, and I don't know if the clutch parts are original.

How do I tell what I've got? Or does it matter? Should I get a '01-'02 basket and rod? Do I also need a new boss?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance for your help

I would file down and polish the fingers on your basket. I have done it and know others that have too with good results. Unless you wanna spend the money for new parts.

Well, heck, that makes sense.

Ok, so a follow-on question. If it's time for new clutch plates, how do I go about identifying whether I have a '00 clutch or a '01 clutch? Does it even matter for clutch plate replacement?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pT762epzhv0GdOWGGV3ezdfZkIxlGYnfK4gZBK2GTcg?feat=directlink - You can see the grooves in the clutch basket. They look like little squares where the friction plates rub. You can also see the file I used.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eTXL0HwET9Q-L-N3JmlqftfZkIxlGYnfK4gZBK2GTcg?feat=directlink - Here is the "after" picture showing it smooth.

I had the same problem. I bought a used RMZ 450 and the clutch was grabby. I did some research and found the following advice:

-File off the basket to eliminate grooves.

I am no mechanic and I was able to do just this. Now, it is like butter! Pics show what I did. Keep in mind you have to remove the clutch basket. Be sure to clean everything before reinstall to get rid of metal shavings.

Guys, thank you for pointing me in this direction. I will get in there with a file and let you know how it goes.

But - and I'm ashamed to say this - I replaced the clutch cable and lever, and thoroughly cleaned the clutch perch. The difference is like night and day. The lever action is buttery smooth, and the adjuster is a thousand times easier to operate. I think it could all be even better, so I'll get in there with the file and replace the plates, and I'll see what I get.

Thanks again.