anyone tried the $400 EXP in a 10' or 11'??

• 3 months later...

I have it in my 2010 and I like it. Only thing is .......I would like it to rev past Idle just a hair before it engages. The paper I got with mine (instructions) has three levels of tune ability, Low,Medium and Hard

My instructions say the EXP 2.0 comes set with the medium engagement but dont see how. The reason I dont think its set at Medium is.......

When the bike is in gear and is just Idling .....As soon as I apply the throttle it moves. To me this would be the LOW setting.

I would like it to rev just past Idle about 1500 RPM's before it engages and moves.

My EXP came with 3 extra Gold springs and 3 Green springs

All though my instructions do not mention Green springs they only refer to Gold and Blue so I guess the ones I have that are Green are suppose to be the Blue springs but I'm not color blind and they are Green.

Anyways if mine is set at Medium and it moves as soon as you apply the

throttle......Then what would the Low setting be like? The bike creeping while Idling?

Has any one tried the Highsetting? and if so how high does the bike rev before it moves(engages)?

Wife is asleep and couldnt find the good camera and I couldnt get her phone to transfer the pic to the pc so I just had to use my trusty GoPro HD. It done a pretty good job as far as the color but a bit of wall-eye effect.

Any ways her is the Green and gold springs

IMG00054.jpg

GOPR0159.jpg

GOPR0158.jpg

GOPR0157.jpg

GOPR0156.jpg

Now do you see what I mean? They are Green. I dont see a hint of Blue no where on them. You can see the Gold ones are Gold.

My instructions to the EXP don't say anything about Green springs so I guess they have all blue or other colors in them.

My instructions say that the EXP friction disk comes set with the recommended "Medium" setting from Rekluse which is 3 BLUE and 3 GOLD springs. Low setting is 6 BLUE and HIGH setting is 6 GOLD.

I believe these Green ones are what they are calling Blue. I wonder how much of a difference all "GOLD" springs would make in how the EXP engages from how mine engages now which I stated above earlier in the thread?

Another thing I was wondering was......Since all the EXP 2.0's come with the light wedges in them what difference would the "Heavy" wedges make on the EXP? as in RPM"S before it engages

I would like to hear from someone that has the Heavy Wedges installed along with the 6 GOLD springs which is the High setting. That combo would probably let the bike hit the REV Limiter before it engaged.

Edited by CaptainKnobby

Have the z-start pro myself but thought I'd add:

anyone installing an auto clutch on the new model will benefit most from the highest engagement speed and softest setting. Now having said that the idle speed should be adjusted high 2100-2300 so the actual high setting egages more like the low-med setting due to higher idle speed. The bike will be less prone to stall with these settings. This has been my experience and recommendation from customer service.

Now do you see what I mean? They are Green.

My instructions say that the EXP friction disk comes set with the recommended "Medium" setting from Rekluse which is 3 BLUE and 3 GOLD springs. Low setting is 6 BLUE and HIGH setting is 6 GOLD.

I believe these Green ones are what they are calling Blue. I wonder how much of a difference all "GOLD" springs would make in how the EXP engages from how mine engages now which I stated above earlier in the thread?

Another thing I was wondering was......Since all the EXP 2.0's come with the light wedges in them what difference would the "Heavy" wedges make on the EXP? as in RPM"S before it engages

I'll give you that the springs are green. The reason I challenged you is that I know a couple of people who claim not to be color blind (my wife is one) but who have a lot of trouble differentiating shades in the blue/green range.

There are two aspects of the engagement you can alter: the engagement POINT, which is the rpm at which the clutch will engage, and the engagement RATE, which is how abruptly or gradually it applies from disengaged to engaged. The springs have more effect on the engagement point than the rate. When the weaker blue springs are used, the clutch engages sooner, at a lower RPM. With the stiffer gold springs, it comes in later. Mixing 3 of each gives you the intermediate setting.

I would like to hear from someone that has the Heavy Wedges installed along with the 6 GOLD springs which is the High setting. That combo would probably let the bike hit the REV Limiter before it engaged.
You have part of this backward. The weight of the wedges used has a greater effect on how hard the clutch hits when it engages, and on how much pressure is applied to the plates, but it also changes the engagement point slightly since the weight of the wedges works in opposition to the springs. 6 gold springs with the heavy wedges should be the "high/hard" setting, and 6 gold with the light ones the "high/soft" configuration. But, you would likely find that the high/hard engaged a little earlier than the high/soft.

Re-read the tuning instructions again.

I too tried the "Core Exp" in my 2010, and ended up taking it out and putting it in my 2005 Eric Gorr 2 smoker, where, it works fine, I might add. The quick hit off the bottom of the 450, even with the "Injectioneering" modified throttle body, locks up the EXP clutch waay too early. I used the stiffest gold springs, and bought the optional "lighter" weights. This set up helped some, but still not acceptable. The stock weights weigh 27 grams, the lighter ones weigh 24 grams, a delta of 3 grams per weight. I machined the lighter ones from ReKluse 3 more grams, to 21 grams each, and it still was not satisfactory. If you were to burp the throttle on a rock face and rapidly get out of the throttle, the engine would stall. I ended up taking it out (and putting it in my smoker) and installing a Rekluse "Pro" with the optional cable adjuster. With this setup, I can adjust the rate of engagement, as well as the engagement point itself, separately from each other. This cured 95% of the issues being discussed here. The "Core Exp" as good as it is (love it in my smoker) is not a good match for the 2010 and later YZ 450.....

For clarity, was that the $800 Core EXP, or the $400 EXP?

He has to be talking about the Core EXP cause the EXP 2.0 ($400.00) one works fine in my 2010 450 all but just wanting it to "REV" past Idle just a tad more than where it is now.

And I believe I can get it there by putting in the 3 other Gold springs.

The only thing I was wanting to clear up is why I have Green Springs? Are they suppose to be what Rekluse are calling "Blue" cause if you watch there video of disassembling the EXP 2.0 you will see when they are taking the 1/4 turn pins out the springs in his hand seem to have that Green tint to em like mine but they call them Blue springs.

So does all the YZ's (125,250,250F,450F and in the WR's) Like when you buy the $400.00 EXP 2.0 come with the springs in GOLD,BLUE only or are there other colors you can get?

I called Rekluse today but the answering machine said all line were full and to leave a message.

Well I left a message about if the 2011 YZ450 EXP 2.0 came with 3 Green springs cause that is the color I received with mine along with 3 Gold springs.

I also asked if the Green ones that I got are the ones that they are calling Blue.

However I have not received a call back from them yet to my ?'s

Seems like no one knows the answer:excuseme: It would be much easier if someone would chime in that has one of these EXP 2.0's and tell if theirs came with Green looking springs.

I'll give you that the springs are green. The reason I challenged you is that I know a couple of people who claim not to be color blind (my wife is one) but who have a lot of trouble differentiating shades in the blue/green range.

There are two aspects of the engagement you can alter: the engagement POINT, which is the rpm at which the clutch will engage, and the engagement RATE, which is how abruptly or gradually it applies from disengaged to engaged. The springs have more effect on the engagement point than the rate. When the weaker blue springs are used, the clutch engages sooner, at a lower RPM. With the stiffer gold springs, it comes in later. Mixing 3 of each gives you the intermediate setting.

You have part of this backward. The weight of the wedges used has a greater effect on how hard the clutch hits when it engages, and on how much pressure is applied to the plates, but it also changes the engagement point slightly since the weight of the wedges works in opposition to the springs. 6 gold springs with the heavy wedges should be the "high/hard" setting, and 6 gold with the light ones the "high/soft" configuration. But, you would likely find that the high/hard engaged a little earlier than the high/soft.

Re-read the tuning instructions again.

I did......But the papers that came with mine were few. One paper is on saftey the other is the installation sheet another is the Item description of what all came with the EXP and the last one is the Tuning options.

I re read the tuning options and it didn't give much options other than it saying to adjust the Idling speed to match your engagement setting.

Here is what the whole tuning options sheet reads:

Adjusting the engine Idle speed to match your engagement setting is important and greatly affects the overall feel of how the EXP friction disk engages. To prevent freewheeling and maximize engine breaking set the idle so there is a slight amount of drag while the bike is idling in gear and warmed up(I done this). The idle should not be so high as to move the bike forward in gear with the throttle closed. However, with a small opening of the throttle the bike should move forward.

And the rest was just how to take the EXP apart and change the springs.

Now!.....When I put my EXP 2.0 in I done exactly what was stated above and it does what was stated above. The clutch engages as soon a a small amount of throttle is applied.......BUT By the way it feels......seems like this would be the LOW engagement setting which is configured with 6 Blue springs. Which in fact mine is suppose to be configured to the Medium setting which is 3 blue and 3 Gold (Which to me) would seem like I should be able to rev the bike up just a tad bit more above idle before the clutch engages.

But according to the way the clutch is performing now with the medium setting .......by the time I put all 6 gold in it will feel like the medium instead of the High or heavy setting.

I may just be asking to much of the clutch with how high the rpm's should go up. I dunno but am satisfied with how it is working but was just hoping i could ask for some higher revs before the EXP engaged.

After my race sunday And I get my 2011 back from my suspension tuner (who will have my Del-Taco kit installed) tomorrow I will take the EXP out of my 2010 and put it in my 2011 that has 0 hours on it and new fresh plates in it and install the 6 gold springs in it and see what it does.

I took the EXp back out of my 2010 this evening. I wanted to see what color springs were in it and also replace with all GOLD.

Well ......one side of the EXP had Gold springs and the other side had Blue. The Blue ones that were in it was not the same color tint of the other 3 that I had.

The other 3 I had (which yall know by now) were of Green tint. But maybe if they are in the EXP and worn a bit and have oil on them....... they may turn to a blue color.

Anyways I took the 3 Blue out and replaced with 3 Gold to where i had all Gold in the EXP 2.0 After I put the EXP back in the 2010 and put everything all together I checked my Free play at the lever and it was spot on.

I adjusted my Idle and the put the bike in 1st gear and applied a small amount of throttle and then the bike moved. However ....replacing the EXP with all gold springs did not change how high the bike would rev before the clutch engaged but I did notice how it changed how hard the clutch engaged.

It felt like when you applied the throttle the bike wanted to really launch (not much) but enough to where you could tell it hit a little harder than with 3 blue and 3 gold.

I was kinda hoping it would rev a bit more before the clutch would engage but it didn't. I guess I know the answer now,......No matter what spring you use.....the bike will not rev any higher.