HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sledtrash

Building YZ-f bike

16 posts in this topic

Hello I'm putting together a bike from an aluminum frame I purchased recently and I want some advice. To keep the build as cheap as possible I'm buying used parts. I need to know what years of parts would be the best to throw on this and which years will work I guess. The frame is a 07 YZ. I'm building this for more enduro style riding.

suspension & brakes:

Rear: I've already bought a 06 swing arm should I go with a (new) lowering link and what year of shock has the best valving? Brakes: don't have any of that yet what caliper's and master cylinder's should I go with (year) are there better years of rotors?

Front I don't have anything from triple clamps forward so any advice on anything on the front, forks, triple clamps brake set up

NOTE: This is not a 4t :smirk:, but the other parts regard the 4t frame.

I'm running a 500cc 2t air-cooled engine so would I have problems running a yz-f carb on the engine, would the accelerator pump give me problems?

07-09 have wave style rotors OEM , 06 models have standard rotors

The 08-09 are supposed to have the best suspension... 06 suspension sucks but you'll be revalving it anyway so maybe a moot point

I don't recall any changes to master cylinder/calipers but gray will probably correct me

Don't waste too much time on the carb. It will be pretty much 100% wrong for the engine. It may or may not even be tunable, depending on the availability of correct needles and slides for the 2-stroke.

YZ rear brakes are all about the same from '03 on, other than the wave feature. At the front, it will depend on the forks. '06-'07 YZ450 used the same MC/caliper combo as the bikes back to '03 and earlier did, but the '08+ YZ450 and the '07+ YZ250F used a smaller one that has to be used as a set with the forks.

Are their better or worse for the front suspension?

Do the wave style stay cooler easier?

Are their better or worse for the front suspension?

Do the wave style stay cooler easier?

Is what better than what?

Wave rotors clear mud from the brakes better than round ones. That's it.

Is what better than what?

Wave rotors clear mud from the brakes better than round ones. That's it.

Which are set up the best from the factory if there is a difference.

I also have to buy triple clamps for the bike as well.

or in your opinion, would I be alright with anything that would work on my bike?

Tires, fenders, handlebars? What?

Forks and Rear shock's, did they change valving year per year?? or is it the same basic stuff. I'm wondering what year would be the best to look for?

Blue fenders have been proven to make more horse pressure on the dyno.

Anything '06 and up is good. The later, the more refined, of course. The '06 fork requires an '06 clamp set, but '07 -'09 will interchange. The steering stem in the '08-'09 is shorter by 5mm, though, so you need to use either the full '06 set up, or an '07 clamp set with '07-'09 forks and matching front brake stuff.

Anything '06 and up is good. The later, the more refined, of course. The '06 fork requires an '06 clamp set, but '07 -'09 will interchange. The steering stem in the '08-'09 is shorter by 5mm, though, so you need to use either the full '06 set up, or an '07 clamp set with '07-'09 forks and matching front brake stuff.

Perfect just what I needed to know so the newer the better. How about rear shock and linkage any major changes?

Like I stated I think I'm going to lower the bike for woods use so I'm thinking that any decent priced shock 06+ would be fine.

Any I think that black although a few horse's less will give me more aerodynamics and therefore beat out the horse power of the blue one. :smirk:

Swing arm and link from '06-'08 should interchange. The '09 will work if you use the '09 linkage, but then you'll also need the '09 rear wheel and axle.

Perfect just what I needed to know so the newer the better. How about rear shock and linkage any major changes?

Like I stated I think I'm going to lower the bike for woods use so I'm thinking that any decent priced shock 06+ would be fine.

Any I think that black although a few horse's less will give me more aerodynamics and therefore beat out the horse power of the blue one.

:smirk:

untitled-1.jpg

Swing arm and link from '06-'08 should interchange. The '09 will work if you use the '09 linkage, but then you'll also need the '09 rear wheel and axle.

Thanks Gray.

Very cool, although I can't give advice, others have done so, the motor an '84 or different year? I would love to see something like this when finished.

very cool, although i can't give advice, others have done so, the motor an '84 or different year? I would love to see something like this when finished.

82 465