HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnichols

07 YZ450 Backfire

4 posts in this topic

So I had a oil leak at the right side crankcase down below the kickstarter. After waiting for over a month on gaskets I finally have it back together. I took it up and down the street and it's backfiring when I let off the gas. It didn't do it before I took it apart so it must be something I did. The only thing I added was a gasket where the pipe meets the head... there wasn't one there before.

Maybe it just needs to be tighten more? Or maybe I should just remove it? Thanks

Here's what you did that caused it:

...waiting for over a month ...
I got $5 on a varnished pilot jet. If you have access to a set of small number drills, and you have a 45 pilot, push a #77 through the jet. A piece of wire from a fine wire brush can do the job too.

Carefully.

I will give that a try for sure.

I just pulled the head pipe to see if I missed pulling the old gasket and I sure did. So I pulled the old one and put the new one back in. Put it back together and I still have the backfire.

What I noticed is that the head pipe gets really hot within a minute of the bike running.... does that sound normal? I just don't recall it getting that hot that fast. I also replaced all the hoses with CV4 hoses. I noticed a little bit of fluid from the weep hole but it's only a few drops and then it stops.

I also have Dr. D exhaust and had the cone shaped noise deal in it. I pulled that out and put the regular screen back in. Bike sounded a little better after that. Also the gas in the tank is kinda old, a little over 2 months and it’s almost empty….could that cause a backfire as well? Thanks for the help

I will give that a try for sure.

I just pulled the head pipe to see if I missed pulling the old gasket and I sure did. So I pulled the old one and put the new one back in. Put it back together and I still have the backfire.

What I noticed is that the head pipe gets really hot within a minute of the bike running.... does that sound normal? I just don't recall it getting that hot that fast. I also replaced all the hoses with CV4 hoses. I noticed a little bit of fluid from the weep hole but it's only a few drops and then it stops.

I also have Dr. D exhaust and had the cone shaped noise deal in it. I pulled that out and put the regular screen back in. Bike sounded a little better after that. Also the gas in the tank is kinda old, a little over 2 months and it’s almost empty….could that cause a backfire as well? Thanks for the help

your pilot jet is clogged. Clean it and fresh fuel.