I love my WR but starting it???

Ok, I have a 2001 WR426, I LOVE it, but just went riding with a buddy who has a KTM 520. I stalled at the bottom of a hill, and had a hell of a time getting it going again.

Does anyone have the 'foolproof method' (and don't call ME a fool) to starting one of these SOBs?

Once its running is GREAT, but I spend 20 minutes of our 3 hour ride trying to get it started ?

03 exhaust cam. Well worth it.I just put one on my sons 02 YZ250f. I couldn't stand to see him kick himself into total exaustion anymore. Blue wire/gray wire disconnect. Gives it a hotter spark at idle. Go to the mod section. Lots of kewl stuff. Plus you've just got to know your bike. How hot it is etc... ?

from Doug Dubach:

We offer the most innovative line-up of four-stroke competition motorcycles in the industry. To further enhance the enjoyment of these products, please follow the step-by-step instructions as explained by Doug Dubach, Four-Stroke Motocross Champion and Yamaha test rider. These helpful tips will ensure quick and easy starting of your Yamaha four-stroke motorcycle.

COLD ENGINE STARTING:

1 - Make sure the bike has fuel, then turn on fuel petcock

2 - Pull out choke knob (black knob on left side of the carburetor).

3 - Prime the engine by giving the throttle two full turns (only if the bike has not been started in a day or two).

4 - Apply firm pressure to the kick-starter with your foot until you hit distinct resistance (this is the compression stroke/hard spot).

5 - While keeping pressure on the kick-starter, pull in the compression release lever and push the kick-starter past the compression stroke/hard spot. The kick-starter needs to only move about 1 to 2 inches past the hard spot. That is all!

6 - Release the compression release lever and return the kick-starter to the top

7 - Now, kick to start. Do not touch the throttle, as the engine will start and idle on it's own

8 - If the bike does not start, repeat steps 4 through 7 only until the engine starts.

HOT ENGINE STARTING

1 - Pull out the hot start knob (red knob on the left side of the carburetor).

2 - Follow steps 4 through 7 until engine starts.

3 - You may have to apply some throttle after the engine starts until you get the hot start knob pushed back in because the carburetor is sending a lean mixture while the hot start knob is out.

The only difference between hot and cold starting is which knob you use, choke or hot start. There is no need to deviate from these simple steps. Remember, DO NOT touch the throttle during hot or cold starting. Also, there is no reason to prime the engine again on the same day of riding.

OTHER HELPFUL TIPS

It helps to become comfortable with steps 4 through 7. By becoming familiar with these steps you will become more efficient and will be able to perform them quicker. The faster you can get through steps 4 through 7 the quicker you will get going.

You need to give the engine what it wants! Understand that the choke will give the engine a rich mixture and the hot start will give the engine a lean mixture. If you have kicked the engine several times during a cold starting procedure and it still won't start, maybe it has too much fuel. Don't be afraid to push the choke back in and use the hot start, even though the engine is cold, this will give the engine a lean mixture and that might be just what it wants.

Again, make sure you don't go more than an inch or two past the hard spot when setting up your kick, and return the kick tarter all the way to the top, especially on the 250F. This will ensure that you get a proper kick and make your race day more enjoyable.

Hi there,

I dont know about all this 'move kick start until u feel the compression' thingy...I have a wr 400 and no matter how long it stands or if it is a hot(red knobby on carb) or cold (black knobby on carb and two twists of throttle) start, I just grab the decomp. lever, hold it in, kick down twice with the lever in and on the third kick, as i start the kick i let go the decomp. and hey presto...it thumps away.

And this works EVERY time.....now I am not saying that the other methods dont work but hey we all find different ways of getting the beast fired up and that is why these forums are here...to offer help so try it and let me know ok ?

Cheers

Mark

?

I agree with the drill. It works everytime.

I would go to the mods section and check out the jetting. Make sure you have done the BK mod. Mine squirted for 3 1/2 seconds and over 2 feet. This caused me to foul an unbelievable amount of plugs. I finally bought a pneumatic spark plug cleaner from Harbor Freight to save some cash before I got the problem straigtened out.

I did LarryCo's jetting which is basically a high altitude version of Taffy's jetting, since I'm in Colorado. Made a huge difference and my bike starts way easier.

I also recently did the YZ timing and it seems to help the starting as well.

Good luck.

everyone is a comedian. What i do is hook my bike up to the back of my buddies truch. He gets up to about 23 MPH and i put my bike in 4th gear and then poop the clutch. I then skid around the block for 5 minutes wearing a bals spot in my tire thne she fires right up. God i love this bike :D?:D

Garry,

This drill works every time after a stall, no matter what the temperature is outside.

After a stall, pull out Hot Start button, hold the compression release in and kick it over 15 times (less may work for you, but I found that 15 ALWAYS works for me). Then set the stroke just past TDC as you always do and kick 'er over, push the Hot Start back in (after it starts the first kick) and resume riding. Never touch the throttle before or during the drill.

The whole thing takes about 20 seconds. Before I started using this drill, it could take up to 5 minutes to get it running again

x2

Garry,

This drill works every time after a stall, no matter what the temperature is outside.

After a stall, pull out Hot Start button, hold the compression release in and kick it over 15 times (less may work for you, but I found that 15 ALWAYS works for me). Then set the stroke just past TDC as you always do and kick 'er over, push the Hot Start back in (after it starts the first kick) and resume riding. Never touch the throttle before or during the drill.

The whole thing takes about 20 seconds. Before I started using this drill, it could take up to 5 minutes to get it running again

x2

Thanks everyone, this sounds like my problem. It is usally when I am riding and stall it out, then kick it 20 times, break a sweat, get pissed, walk away for 10 minues and come back and it starts for me first kick.

I agree with Garry. I always pull the hot start when stalling during a ride. If that does not work the first time, then pull the decomp lever and cycle through around 4 times, then follow the starting drill again, mine always starts first kick. Also, if you have big feet like me, size 11.5, then make sure you use the ball of your foot on the kick starter. If not, then, your boot gets hung up on the foot peg and you miss 1/3 of the stroke. When I used to accidently do this, my bike never started. The 426 needs to be kicked hard all the way through. ?

Forget the drill, this is another vote for the 03 cam. Now it starts as easy as any bike I've owned.

I am thinking about draining the oil - taking it for a long hot ride, and blowing the motor. Then going to my wife and saying 'but honey, I can put the 450 into rather than rebuilding the 426' and I would have a e-start AND my california plate.

If the PJ is not jetted right the bike can be a bear to start. When you have the jetting dialed in you can start the bike 1 kick from the saddle every time. I almost never use my hot start unless the bike is boiling hot and stalled at high RPM and or layed over = flooded. Then pull hot start and decomp, kick 5 times throttle wiide open to air out and then regular kick. I have not used my hot start in a long time, last time I used it I was surprised the cable was not rusted frozen ?

I will take a look at the jetting on the bike. I think my biggest problem is I have not been putting it just past TDC for the kick. Also I was not aware that the carb is a pumper. I probally put waaaaaayyyy too much fuel into it each time.

I need to go home so I can practice ?

• 5 weeks later...

Ok,

Good news/Bad news. (well for me)

I can start it first kick, every time. As long as it is cold. If I go for a ride, and it dies I am SOL.

I tryed the open de-compress valve, kick 20 times, hot start open/closed, put in a new plug, cleaned the airfilter. I guess I have to do something more serious, but I don't know where to look.

HELP.

. ?

Go to www.dubachracing.com and in the help drop down window click on how to start your bike. It will link you into Yamaha Motors where you can even watch a video on hot and or cold starting your bike. I have a Wr400. Being new to the four stroke it has taken a bit to get used to starting. I find that once the engine is warm I pull the hot start button evey time. I also find that if I hold my front brake lever it prevents me from giving the throttle any twist at all. If I don't do this it sometimes takes me 2-3 kicks to start. Follow the starting drill and make sure you do not twist the throttle at all. The 450 cam sounds like a great idea but then so does the 450 itself. If you don't have the cash then follow the drill. I've been marking trails for the last two days and have had to start my bike probably twenty time a day. These really are great bikes.

?

Happy Trails