HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfb

XT 350 help?????

13 posts in this topic

.....are there any XT forums around or is there anyone here that could help with some xt 350 problems????thankyou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might give it a shot. Advice for jetting a golf cart was given once :)

Bill

------------------

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards , Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Bill:

You might give it a shot. Advice for jetting a golf cart was given once :)

Bill

OK,here it goes...2000 XT350..1100mi...#1 hard to start when cold.(can any carb mods. be done to help???..#2 when shifting from 1st to 2nd gets hung up in nutral quite a bit..will this get better in another 1k mi.or so???...#3 when warmed up and at idle, a couple of times the engine would just die, I'd give it one kick and it would start right up and would be ok the rest of my ride,whats going on here???...#4 is the xt350 engine durable..#5..may want to replace stock rear spring with somthing a little stiffer,..where is a good place to look???..T H A N K Y O U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your "getting stuck in neutral" all the time has to do with your foot position. Its rarely anything else. Try moving the Shift lever down 1 tooth. :)

Possibility that its an Ignition problem.

Check all connections. Particularly around the coil, and the grounding points around the frame. I heard that there was an issue with a ground on the bike.

I havent really heard anything bad about the XT350. Its an older design dating back to 1985. This is probably one of Yamahas most unchanged bikes. This is a good and bad thing. Parts are easy to get. And no particular year is better than another..so, a 1985 is basically the same as a 2000.

I still dont get all the badgering about the XT350..but It seems to be pretty common amoung 4 stroke guys. I just got my First new 4 stroke..A 2001 Wr426. I love it to death.

I dont know what else to consider, but you might pick up a service manual, and ask around your local Yamaha dealership and ask about your bike. Since alot of the guys have worked on the bikes over the years..I bet they can steer you in the right direction, where as I can only "guess". :D

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dfb, Jemtec is right about the XT not changing. I rode my 86 350 to and from school my senior year in high school, that was over 10 years ago. I have recently looked them over in the bike shop, the only thing that changes is the paint, same drum brake in the rear, same air cooled motor. As far as question #4 the motor is bullet proof I never had a problem. It would probably still be in my garage if some ass hole didn't steal it. The one weakness I can tell you about is the snail chain tighteners. I came off a jump wrong and landed with the bike vertical. The weight of me and the bike sheered the aluminum notches off the swing arm making it impossible to tighten the chain. The first thing you need to do if you want more power is get a new pipe. I put a supertrap on mine and it was night and day, loads more torque. Good luck with your new bike I loved my XT almost as much as I love my WR today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Greg C:

dfb, Jemtec is right about the XT not changing. I rode my 86 350 to and from school my senior year in high school, that was over 10 years ago. I have recently looked them over in the bike shop, the only thing that changes is the paint, same drum brake in the rear, same air cooled motor. As far as question #4 the motor is bullet proof I never had a problem. It would probably still be in my garage if some ass hole didn't steal it. The one weakness I can tell you about is the snail chain tighteners. I came off a jump wrong and landed with the bike vertical. The weight of me and the bike sheered the aluminum notches off the swing arm making it impossible to tighten the chain. The first thing you need to do if you want more power is get a new pipe. I put a supertrap on mine and it was night and day, loads more torque. Good luck with your new bike I loved my XT almost as much as I love my WR today.

Thanks for all the info...was your ol' xt hard to start when cold also??????..I've tried different combos of choke & throttle and can't get the right system down...when I do get it started,I place a small shim between the throttle stop and lever to act like a FAST idle for a few minutes during warmup...I got spoiled with my old XL250s...would start 1-4 kicks and the choke had a built in fast idle.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Greg C:

dfb, Jemtec is right about the XT not changing. I rode my 86 350 to and from school my senior year in high school, that was over 10 years ago. I have recently looked them over in the bike shop, the only thing that changes is the paint, same drum brake in the rear, same air cooled motor. As far as question #4 the motor is bullet proof I never had a problem. It would probably still be in my garage if some ass hole didn't steal it. The one weakness I can tell you about is the snail chain tighteners. I came off a jump wrong and landed with the bike vertical. The weight of me and the bike sheered the aluminum notches off the swing arm making it impossible to tighten the chain. The first thing you need to do if you want more power is get a new pipe. I put a supertrap on mine and it was night and day, loads more torque. Good luck with your new bike I loved my XT almost as much as I love my WR today.

Sorry to here your XT350 got stollen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Jemtec:

Your "getting stuck in neutral" all the time has to do with your foot position. Its rarely anything else. Try moving the Shift lever down 1 tooth. :)

Possibility that its an Ignition problem.

Check all connections. Particularly around the coil, and the grounding points around the frame. I heard that there was an issue with a ground on the bike.

I havent really heard anything bad about the XT350. Its an older design dating back to 1985. This is probably one of Yamahas most unchanged bikes. This is a good and bad thing. Parts are easy to get. And no particular year is better than another..so, a 1985 is basically the same as a 2000.

I still dont get all the badgering about the XT350..but It seems to be pretty common amoung 4 stroke guys. I just got my First new 4 stroke..A 2001 Wr426. I love it to death.

I dont know what else to consider, but you might pick up a service manual, and ask around your local Yamaha dealership and ask about your bike. Since alot of the guys have worked on the bikes over the years..I bet they can steer you in the right direction, where as I can only "guess". :D

Good luck

Thankyou.....I'll move that shift lever down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 99 XT350 and it was always hard starting on the cold. Found best to give it full choke and NO throttle, then kick. In the real cold I would just aim a heater at it for a little while and it would start right up. Also, mine would fast idle with the choke on full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

I did get my golf cart jetted correctly though thanks to some advice on this site!! Some day I'll get a picture of the cart online. I swear you'll think it's the coolest cart you've ever seen!!

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by BigDog:

I had a 99 XT350 and it was always hard starting on the cold. Found best to give it full choke and NO throttle, then kick. In the real cold I would just aim a heater at it for a little while and it would start right up. Also, mine would fast idle with the choke on full.

Yes, mine will keep running for a minute or so with full choke, then die....if I push choke in a little,it'll die anyway...when I use my shim it'll keep running without any choke.....the shim keeps it about 1500rpm when warming..I like to have my bikes idling without a choke before I take off riding, is that good for my engine????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dfb, As far as starting I don't think that I had a problem 1st or 2nd kick. The stalling I attribute to the choked up pipe. Some guys on this forum will disagree and tell you to keep the bike muffled down. When I had mine it would stall out crossing the smallest obstacle with the stock pipe. After mounting the slip on Supertrapp I could just ride a wheelie over anything in my way. An uncorked XT will not be half as loud as the uncorked WR so you will still be cool on the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0