exhaust end

So i just picked up a 2002 wr426. I love the bike but the only thing i dont like about it is the look of the exhaust. The end of the exhaust looks just goofy to me. Is there some thing to change just the end piece without getting a new exhaust or would i be better of getting a new exhaust?

Thanks

P5030008.jpg

You could get a spark arrestor outlet like the Pro Moto Billet but considering that muffler is almost ten years old I have to believe the packing is shot or almost shot.

I'd go the slip on route before putting ANY money into a ten year old muffler especially when after the new end cap and packing you would be two thirds of the way to the cost of a slip on.

The stock WR muffler doesn't have any packing in it...it has baffle plates much like a car muffler. It's already a USFS Approved spark arrestor (stamped on the side of the can). PMB and GYT-R both make quiet inserts that do a good job of quieting the mofo down, but don't help that goofy look. A stock YZ 400 or 426 can is a direct bolt on and looks much better, plus it breathes a heck of a lot better. They can be had for cheap on flea bay most of the time.

The GYT-R tip will get you down to 96 dB and isn't too bad for power. Not as good as open for sure, but not bad for trails. I much prefer the FMF Q over the stock with GYT-R tip. It has much better low end and can get you down to 94 dB. The FMF Q is spark arrested as well.

If you need a spark arrested silencer I do not believe a YZ pipe will work.

I went with the YZ exhaust on my WR 426 too. Much better all around, more power, lighter and looks good and was only $50.00 on ebay with the head pipe:thumbsup:. I also installed the ProMoto S/A endcap & quiet core. I have the older style but the new ones look pretty good and are anodized blue. You will most likely have to rejet but you will be happy with the results.?

sound doesnt bother me as long as its legal for the parks around me which is i believe 96db. if i get the yz pipe do they have the sparkarrestors in them already and could i get in trouble for havin that on a green sticker but the rangers thinkin its a red sticker?

sound doesnt bother me as long as its legal for the parks around me which is i believe 96db. if i get the yz pipe do they have the sparkarrestors in them already and could i get in trouble for havin that on a green sticker but the rangers thinkin its a red sticker?

The stock YZ pipe does NOT have a S/A. This is why many have recommended it in addition to the pipe. I would also suggest the quiet insert because without it you won't be anywhere near 96db. My bike actually failed the test at Hollister with the quiet insert although it wasn't over by too much.

As for the Green/Red sticker issue it doesn't really matter. Even a Red sticker bike is required to have a S/A if opperating on public land.

My advice is that if you want to switch pipes - find a nice stock YZ pipe and install the S/A endcap and quiet insert or buy an aftermarket slip on such as the FMF Q or similar pipe made for offroad use. Stay legal and you will never have to worry about it.?

...this bike is a blast!

Amen to that!! Make sure you do the free mods if you have not done them already to really wake up the beast. The O-ring mod is the single best mod you can do (besides the throttle stop) IMO.

Also, make sure you put something under the chain slider. It does not fit snugly and can wear the top of the swingarm, and I think has even caused failures in extreme cases. I siliconed on a piece of old innertube I cut to shape to protect the swingarm. It protects as well as raises up the slider, allowing the screws to hold it down much better and reducing chain slap noise.

The throttle stop mod is the one must-do above all else. There is nothing it "affects" on the bike on how it runs. It physically limits how far you can twist the throttle. If you have the stock stop, you can only go roughly 1/2 throttle. It would be easy to tell though, with the carb off the bike, turn the throttle and watch how far the slide goes up. If it is all the way, nothing needs to be done.