Headlight on a YZ426

Hey guys I would like to put a headlight on my bike...

This One

2113700001.jpg

What do I need to do to get it hooked up?

Its an Acerbis one BTW

Edited by YamahaDoc

I'm new to the scene, bt I have been looking in to it a bit myself. The options seem slim, but at the very least it looks like an aftermarked stator is required, or a swap for a WR stator (not a simple swap, it involves the flywheel, etc).

All I have been able to find when I looked are 35w stators in the aftermarket. Good Luck

Will you let us know how that works out? 35w seemed a little low on power. Are you planning to run a battery?

Thanks

EDIT: That headlight appears to be a 35w headlight. I would assume the stator puts out 35watts maximum, so I would expect a lot of dimming near idle, and if you add a taillight...

You are going to find that stator will run 20 watts at 5000RPMs.

You are going to find that stator will run 20 watts at 5000RPMs.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell us why lighting stators are so hard to find for these? I noticed you don;t even list them on your site. I know there used to be an external 200w, and I think some 100w stators. Is it the age of the bike, or do they jsut not lend themselves to being wound with a lighting coil?

Thanks

The stock YZF stators are very small in size to save weight and reduce the power lost to the generation of electricity. The bike was built as a single purpose race bike, so all that the stock magneto will do is run the ignition. There simply isn't room to construct a reliable ignition system along with a lighting power source that has any capacity to speak of.

Your alternatives are to either replace the flywheel and stator with WR426 parts and modify the stator to suit the YZ ignition. The WR stator has much more capacity in stock form, being built to do this job, and can be rewound to be even stronger.

The externals were expensive, awkward, and unpopular, so they have been discontinued.

The stock YZF stators are very small in size to save weight and reduce the power lost to the generation of electricity. The bike was built as a single purpose race bike, so all that the stock magneto will do is run the ignition. There simply isn't room to construct a reliable ignition system along with a lighting power source that has any capacity to speak of.

Your alternatives are to either replace the flywheel and stator with WR426 parts and modify the stator to suit the YZ ignition, or build a battery-only system. The WR stator has much more capacity in stock form, being built to do this job, and can be rewound to be even stronger.

The externals were expensive, awkward, and unpopular, so they have been discontinued.

The stator i mentioned putting out 20 watts was in fact a Steahly stator. We purchased one a few week ago just to test the output. The WR parts are the only way to go.