HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickmatthews726

2008 yz450f wont start?

7 posts in this topic

So i went riding the other weekend and every time the bike got hot it would shut off. Eventually it wouldn't start at all. I checked the spark and there was none. So I bought a cdi box and that wasnt the problem. So before I buy a new stator is there anything I should check. Also is there more than one part to the stator or just the coil?

Based on my research on the electronics of these bikes, the coils are massive culprits for ignition failure. If it started cold and got worse and worse I would bet that is the issue.

If you have a volt meter you should be able to see if there is power running to the positive wire on the ignition coil. If it won't start, then you will need an analogue meter to see the ignition pulses from the CDI box (or an oscilloscope but most people don't walk around with those) while the engine is being kicked over. If power is there while the engine is turning over you more then likely have a coil problem.

You may be interested in these if that is the case.... http://www.takai-racing.com/main/ignition_coils.htm

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Just had the same problem with my 08.....died after taking it to Florida to ride the week before the Jacksonville SX. Picked up a stator off of feebay and now its 100%

Just had the same problem with my 08.....died after taking it to Florida to ride the week before the Jacksonville SX. Picked up a stator off of feebay and now its 100%

If there is no power getting to the positive wire on your coil the stator would be the item I would pick up.

Open the manual and run the resistance tests outlined there.

It's much more apt to be a stator than a coil on an '08.

If there is no power getting to the positive wire on your coil the stator would be the item I would pick up.

The coil/plug cap was weard sort of melted so I replaced it 1st then the stator assy......then it fired 1st kick