High output ign coil?

Hey so I quickly might I say quickly glanced through the stickies and I didn't see anything, but I've heard about after market Ign coil's for a 06 yz 450 I was wondering if anyone here has had one or if I heard wrong.

I did a search on google and didn't find much regarding this.

Who has an in side scoop on this?

I was just wondering. I ordered a stock Ign coil 2 weeks ago and it hasn't showed up yet and come to find out the place took my money and hasn't shipped it yet. So I was going to look for one from a different place and if there were "high output" I'd but one of those instead.

Maybe better spark?? I'm not sure it was from tt member Maxpower

Thanks Gray

If you have spark enough to ignite the fuel every time there's a proper mixture in the combustion chamber, and the stock ignition provides this and then some, "better spark" will improve nothing.

I was just asking.

But.... Why then do high output coils on trucks improve fuel efficiency and torque?

... Why then do high output coils on trucks improve fuel efficiency and torque?
Where is the proof that they do?

In most cases involving modern stuff, say from '95 on at least, turning up the ignition voltage does nothing, simply because the stock stuff is good enough already. All that the ignition system does is start the fire. It can make a huge difference if the timing is changed, or the timing curve, but the coil does neither of those things.

If you go back to the 426, you could get more reliable starting, and have it foul plugs less often by going to a "stick coil" from a YZ450 or some other modern bike, but that was because the OEM coil on those were too weak.

The only way for a coil to improve fuel efficiency is if the OEM ignition is failing to fire each and every power stroke. That can happen in a car or truck if the mixture is so lean that the fuel won't burn and/or the plugs are worn out, but not so much on the later stuff.

HA I'm glad to hear you say that Gray, I almost bought one a few months ago but figured it probably wasn't worth the money. Does the iridium spark plug make any difference in spark?

Iridium plugs do more with less spark energy. Using iridium allows the plug electrode to be made finer without being eroded by the combustion gases. It is a simple electrical fact that it is easier for a surge of electrical energy to jump from a smaller gauge wire than a fatter one, so an iridium plug makes the spark more likely to jump the gap, even when the plug is cold or wet.

I see, hmmm well I don't know what made my fuel mileage increase on my truck then I bought all new coils, (it has one per cylinder) and I gained 2-3 mpg. I guess that could have been the temperature too. started cooling off about that time. I've never dynoed it but it seemed to pull a little better.

Thanks for the info Gray!!