Stripped time sert!

Hi all,

I have an 09 450f and have just stripped out a time sert that was fitted to the oil drain bolt on the left crank case. I was wondering if it is possible to go to the next size time sert or not? If not can I just tap the hole to an m10 and run a different bolt?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Karl:thumbsup:

where did it strip and what kind of timesert? Did it just pull the timsert out

If the outer threads are still good why not just put another one in? Same size.

Going to a 10 might be a bad idea.

Seriously, you need to get a torque wrench or just chill out on tightening things ive you have striped the threads out of a timesert

How in the heck did you strip the time cert? I cant remember but it seemed like they were suppose to be able to handle 2x's the amount of torque or more.

Try a lighten up on the elbow grease when tighting.

Make sure it is in fact striped. You may hjust striped the bolt threads and the bolt threads are in the time cert threads and just need cleaned out.

Sorry it's actually pulled out of the crank case. The time sert is still good but the threads on the crankcase for the timesert are stuffed.

get yourself an m10 use blue loctite and do not overturn when tightening, the loctite will hold it well

Edited by yz450fcranker
typo
get yourself an m10 use blue loctite and do not overturn when tightening, the loctite will hold it well
You would Loc-Tite a drain plug?

Thanks for your help everyone. I ended up using an m10 sump bolt from a yz125. It went straight in and then I ran some safety wire through it just incase. Seems to be holding up well.

Thanks

Karl:thumbsup:

the use of loctite is for holding the bolt in the thread not to overtighten a bolt instead hope you see why i recommend

I read something recently on a Titan forum the the affect of;

It is a father's first responsibility to teach his son the proper etiquet of torque values!

Second, is the dangers of drugs,

And third, is the hazards of loose women...

Or something to that affect....

The first thing I said to my six year old, (now thirteen), when I put a wrench in his hands was, "Most motorcycles are made of mainly aluminum, and they can be easily damaged by overtightening nuts and bolts..."

I bought him a Snap On Techwrench, just like mine, for his thirteenth birthday and it's all he uses.

Seriously, if you work on bikes, it is a "Must Have" tool.

I mean a torque wrench, not the Techwrench, necessarily

Edited by runester
Clarification

Allow me to disagree, "sort of". Since being a part of this forum, I have seen more small fasteners stripped by people using torque wrenches than by those tightening by hand. Learning the correct feel of a bolt seating, tightening, reaching peak yield-free torque, etc., is extremely valuable, and worth far more than the price of a torque wrench.

Another point is that unless the manual state otherwise for any particular bolt, all torque values are given for clean DRY threads. Oily threads increase the pulling load placed on the threads at any given torque level by 20-25%. How many drain plugs do you think are cleaned and dried and screwed into dry threads in the crankcase? Not 2%, I would bet.

Put the torque wrench down, and learn to "listen" to the machine with your hands.