HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cherrypicker7

Gearing the WR 450

8 posts in this topic

A friend and I both are on 05 WR 450s, and we have some gearing issues, both feel that 1st gear is a bit high and 5th isn't high enough. I have had some problems stalling the bike and have recently installed a Revloc Dynaring to see if that problem is solved. But sprocket changes will only make 1st even higher if we want to get more speed at lower rpms. Not sure there is much to be done, don't even know if alternative gearing is available, I don't want to go there anyway. Any thoughts? Sure wish these motors came with a 6 speed.

Same here...It's funny when you are riding and you forgot that you have tapped out every gear and you are shifting for another, when there is none...something about speed and power that we don't deny our adrenaline...we more more!

A friend and I both are on 05 WR 450s, and we have some gearing issues, both feel that 1st gear is a bit high and 5th isn't high enough. I have had some problems stalling the bike and have recently installed a Revloc Dynaring to see if that problem is solved. But sprocket changes will only make 1st even higher if we want to get more speed at lower rpms. Not sure there is much to be done, don't even know if alternative gearing is available, I don't want to go there anyway. Any thoughts? Sure wish these motors came with a 6 speed.

if you are stalling, you should be lowering your gearing a bit.

You must be pretty fast if you are riding tapped out in 5th. :thumbsup: The WR's have a very respectable top end.

No, I don't often run at top speed, but I much prefer to run anywhere from 50-65 on fireroads or paved and I don't like to run at the higher rpms required. There really is no solution other than splitting the cases and changing the gearset, and I don't care to make the effort. I think, the stalling issue has been taken care of with the Dyna Ring

No, I don't often run at top speed, but I much prefer to run anywhere from 50-65 on fireroads or paved and I don't like to run at the higher rpms required. There really is no solution other than splitting the cases and changing the gearset, and I don't care to make the effort. I think, the stalling issue has been taken care of with the Dyna Ring

I don't know if yo have any options on tranny gears for the wr. That's as wide as they get.

Maybe you can go big bore on the cylinder and have a bit more grunt to run the taller gears.

btw... how do you like that dynaring?

I would also love a 6th gear. I ride 100% off road, but some desert areas have LONG straights that I could comfortably go another 20mph if my bike could do it (without reving the piss outta it).

As for the Dyna ring, I certainly liked the install, very easy. So far it has worked as advertised, but I haven't had much of an opportunity to try it out, other than a few spins around the farm. As I mentioned the reason I went for it, was the anti-stall feature, and so far that is working. I seldom use the clutch, only when starting out and in certain technical sections.