HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soul Man

Wideband for 2-stroke tuning??

2 posts in this topic

I know the oil will shorten sensor life. I want to hook one up just to get jetting set and then remove the sensor.

Anyone do it on 2-strokes?

How long will the sensor last (enough to tune 3-4 bikes? of just doing test runs)?

Where to put sensor: in expansion chamber? Pipe leading to muffler? (have spark arrestors, so sticking a long tube in the muffler won't work).

If it would work, is my assumption correct in that you would:

Ride at steady 1/4 throttle to determine pilot

Ride at steady 1/2 throttle to determine needle

Ride at WOT to determine main jet?

Spoke to a guy at Daytona Sensors, he said sensor would last in the "tens of hours" which should be plenty to sort out a few bikes, but he didn't really have any real info on 2-stroke tuning.

Before the sensor is installed to test, have the bike fully heated, remove the bung, insert the sensor and get your numbers. A sensor will last about five hours of run time.

Pilot is idle

Needle is at 0 to 1/8, 1/8 to 1/4, 1/4 to 3/8... up to 7/8

Main is WOT

Do it on a dyno. If you try to do it by riding, you will kill a sensor doing one bike. You have to do your tests on an incline, in fourth gear and it must be repeatable.

There are a few good threads in this forum that talk about widebands and 2S. Do a search.