Mobil 1 4T 10W40 Oil Analysis

Nice, I use the 10W30 regular engine oil myself.

Where in the hell is silver coming from? I know it's parts per million but what part of the WR has silver in the engine?? lol

Nice, I use the 10W30 regular engine oil myself.

Where in the hell is silver coming from? I know it's parts per million but what part of the WR has silver in the engine?? lol

Beats the heck out of me:smirk:

Hey SXP, you got a "thumbs up" from me for posting that ! Thanks, makes for interesting reading...

Where in the hell is silver coming from? I know it's parts per million but what part of the WR has silver in the engine??

The most likely thing is that the cylinder head and cam caps were alloyed with a higher silver content, or that the cam bores bores had some silver added into them during the casting or finishing process as a friction reduction measure. There are several places in the crankcases where this might have been done also. Note three things:

• There is none in the virgin oil sample
  • There is an average amount stated
  • SXP's numbers are higher than average

This indicates to me that it's clearly a wear metal, and the numbers in the UOA are probably high simply because he left it in there a long time.

Silver, used in an alloy is a good thing for cam caps? Does it help with strength or temperature expansion etc?

Just curious is all, :thumbsup:

If you're that curious, you might want to read my post again. Just a thought :thumbsup:

wow...

sorry haven't slept that well this week lol... When I don't sleep well I skip a beat on the thought processes..