96 decibels ???

AMA Amateur sound levels are 94 db for 2011. They gave the OEMs almost three years notice so they could incorporate this new sound level into their design cycle.

You should pass 96 db easily as should the majority of 2011 bikes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 426 that I want a green sticker for

wondering if packing it myself (it does need it anyway) or just buying a whole new pipe with the spark arrester and be done with it !

I have a 426 that I want a green sticker for

wondering if packing it myself (it does need it anyway) or just buying a whole new pipe with the spark arrester and be done with it !

What kind of "green sticker" are you talking about?

As for a 426 passing a test... I have an HMF comp series with three inserts wide open closed a little and quiet core... My bike only passed with the quiet core installed, and lets just say that was considerable loss in power.

Unless something has changed very recently, the YZ426 will get a green sticker just by registering it as an ORV. There is no sound test.

Certain trail areas, however, do have additional requirements regarding noise, and most of those kinds of managed areas in California require spark arrestors. The safest bet is something on the order of a Q4 muffler.

Unless something has changed very recently, the YZ426 will get a green sticker just by registering it as an ORV. There is no sound test.

Certain trail areas, however, do have additional requirements regarding noise, and most of those kinds of managed areas in California require spark arrestors. The safest bet is something on the order of a Q4 muffler.

+1 Thats what I was getting at. Mine is greeeeen!

On a somewhat related note the SX teams get their db tested with a very temporary slip-on unit (that is not even bolted on) just to pass sound testing. They then immediately go back to the pit and put on their much louder better performing lighter silencer. The AMA turns a deaf ear to this process.

deaf ear lol

117 is seriously loud though, I wear hearing aids and some of the exhausts drive me crazy, quads seem to be worse around here, I had to wear earplugs at the atlanta supercross this year

• 3 weeks later...
On a somewhat related note the SX teams get their db tested with a very temporary slip-on unit (that is not even bolted on) just to pass sound testing. They then immediately go back to the pit and put on their much louder better performing lighter silencer. The AMA turns a deaf ear to this process.

I don't agree with you on the deaf ear deal. The AMA puts identifying marks after they test the muffler on the end cap. If racers get caught with a can that hasn't been through sound there will be hell to pay.