Pick oil for me

Need help picking an oil for my 2008 YZ450f

Race desert and need good quality stuff to withstand the beatings of racing .

Money is an issue......I'm changing my oil all the time and want to spend less than $10 per Liter preferably around $7-8.

I buy most of my stuff from Rockymountain so need help picking one.

I was using Belray Thumper but think I should try a different one. ( maybe snythetic)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Chemicals&webTypeId=100&webCatId=23

Thanks

Go to Amsoil.com and sign up as a preferred customer. PM me if you need a referral number. That will allow you to order Amsoil MCF (10w-40) and/or MCV (20w-50) for around $8/qt, and they ship directly to you.

I use MCF except for May/June and September/sometimes October races when it's a little hotter. For those times, I use MCV. The oil is exceptionally durable, and I usually run it for 3 ride days, one of which is often race day. Lab tests on my oil say it's still OK after that. For an oil of that quality, I don't think the deal can be beat.

Rotella

If you change it VERY often then rotella is a good deal. Every other ride day for me. So about 5 hours maybe. 15-40

Rotella won't stay a 40wt long enough to complete the typical desert race.

Hmmm... interesting. You are saying that a quart of Rotella oil breaks down in about 4 hours?

I would have never thought that. I've been using it for a while and thought it was a good choice. I've been following the "buy it cheap, change it often" approach.

I'll have to check out the Amsoil stuff..

Boy the guys in the CRF forums don't like hearing that lol

Hmmm... interesting. You are saying that a quart of Rotella oil breaks down in about 4 hours?...

I've been following the "buy it cheap, change it often" approach.

More like two hours. You've been buying cheap, but maybe not changing often enough
Boy the guys in the CRF forums don't like hearing that lol
They don't have to worry about it unless they are using it in the transmission. A CRF runs the engine oil in the engine only, so it's not subjected to the shearing that the oil receives in the YZF. The trouble with Rotella is that it can't deal with being a gear lube.
Lab tests on my oil say it's still OK after that. For an oil of that quality, I don't think the deal can be beat.

Gray - What were your Silicon and Aluminum numbers like? I'm curious how they compare to mine and if I have any cause for concern with my high Al and Si readings. Thanks.

Hey Gray, what's your opinion of Maxima Premium4 oil? I started running that a little over a year ago and from what I've seen it seems to be pretty good for the price, though I haven't personally sent in an oil sample for analysis yet. I buy it by the gallon and it comes out to something like $5.50 a quart.

Gray - What were your Silicon and Aluminum numbers like? I'm curious how they compare to mine and if I have any cause for concern with my high Al and Si readings. Thanks.
Elevated iron and aluminum are not unusual in YZF/WRF engines. Gear boxes shed iron with the gleeful abandon of a youthful stripper, and most of the aluminum is from the clutch. Some of the silicon is likely to be from the Nikasil bore plating, but not that much.
Hey Gray, what's your opinion of Maxima Premium4 oil? I started running that a little over a year ago and from what I've seen it seems to be pretty good for the price, though I haven't personally sent in an oil sample for analysis yet. I buy it by the gallon and it comes out to something like $5.50 a quart.
I haven't seen that one tested, but other Maxima products farther up their line do pretty well. I tend to think they understand the gear lube issue and deal with it right. A sample will tell.

how does yamalube all purpose performace 4 stoke oil compare to most oils. is it below average, inbetween, or above average? curious becuase i sometimes use it.

I have used rotella in my honda bikes,polaris atv's and diesel truck's for years,it's good cheap oil but I too have an 08 yz450 and wanted to be sure I was running something compatible with the engine/trans/clutch since its one oil for all.. so I did some research on several different motorcycle oil analysis that you can easily find online.. and I a'm now using golden spectro 4 semi syn,it came out near the top on several tests..I paid $8.99 for 1 liter on rocky mountain atv's site.. its proven to hold grade longer under hot temp's and various load's etc.. some other good PROVEN oils I found were amsoil MCF,maxima full sny,motul.. but for the price I'd go with the spectro 4 man

Edited by Duramax913

i have read somwhere that mobil 4t stacks better than yamalube i would recommend klotz but i dont know what you are doing professional racing or trail riding where any oil wouldnt hurt

i have read somwhere that mobil 4t stacks better than yamalube i would recommend klotz but i dont know what you are doing professional racing or trail riding where any oil wouldnt hurt

i do a lot of dune riding, where im almost always going full throttle, jumping wheelies, water crossing, wrecking lol usually when i do a sharp turn and hit a deep rut(it happens on occasion and to the best of us) even on the dirt around the house im hard on it. practicing wheelies, take offs and just full out top speed on the straight. i just ride for fun but i am at no means easy on the bike. i think i might check if they have the mobile 4t or amsoil mtv/f local. i just got 4 quarts of yamalube becuase it was a lot cheaper then the other oil i was running in my yz426. and im planning on changing the oil every ride for awhile. see how dirty it looks.

... I a'm now using golden spectro 4 semi syn,it came out near the top on several tests..I paid $8.99 for 1 liter on rocky mountain atv's site.. its proven to hold grade longer under hot temp's and various load's etc.. some other good PROVEN oils I found were amsoil MCF,maxima full sny,motul.. but for the price I'd go with the spectro 4 man

Golden Spectro 4 is a good oil, yes, but if price is important, you can buy Amsoil MCF for about a buck less, and they will bring it to you in the bargain.

I've been reading a ton over the last few days becuase after my last oil change I relized I need to change my oil twice as often. I'm currently using Mobile 1 RT-4 er ya, that spendy stuff.. I've been reading about a bunch of 400/426 owners using Castrol GTX or Shell Rotela T with great results and they're saving a ton of money.

Today I went to walmart to do side by side comparisons. Niether the Rotella nor Castrol GTX have "energy conserving" in the API seal on the back. The Castrol specificly says it can be used in API SH applications which is what my yamaha manual says to put in my bike. I'll admit in all the dirt bikes I had as a kid I always used regular auto oils like penzoil mostly, it wasn't until I got into street bikes that I had an issue when I used Mobile 1 full synthetic auto oil in my honda shadow and my clutch started slipping.

I'm really, yes seriously considering trying out the castrol GTX. I can get 5Qt jugs at wallyworld for $13.50 where the Mobile 1 RT-4 is $9 a qt and they dont tend to stock it regularly. I would have no problem changing my oil every other ride if I was paying around $5 an oil change.

I've also read a ton of lab reports comparing break down tests, wear test, sheer tests betwean automotive and motorcycle oils and what I've gotten out of it is there really is no difference and some auto oils even last longer then motorcycle oils in the sheer testing and thermal tests. I'm still reading which is why I'm posting this, I'm hoping to hear some more peoples opinions who are running auto oils in ther YZ's.

I'm personaly starting to believe that motorcycle oil is just hype to get us to spend our hard earned money on overpriced auto oils called "motorcycle oil" when really it's just auto oil without friction modifiers. One persons "Motorcycle oil" can be another persons "auto oil" There was another lab test I read that compared zinc/phos levels of auto / motorcycle oils and auto oil #3 had the same levels as cycle oil #1. If anyone is interested in these lab reports I can post some links.

Golden Spectro 4 is a good oil, yes, but if price is important, you can buy Amsoil MCF for about a buck less, and they will bring it to you in the bargain.

if thats the case I would much rather run an amsoil product.. where do you get it for that price? MCF was #1 in every product test i've seen but it is ridiculous expensive at the dealer and none of the online places I shop carry it, Rocky mountain, TT etc.. or do you have to pay to be a distributor to get it cheaper?

I would like to see something to back this up! Coming from a Asmoil dealer/reseller I question it.

Dyno Rotella is not great but will last in a twin HP oil pump for a Ford/International diesel motor up to 7,000 miles. This was proven with oil analyist. Dyno Rotella will last just under 10,000 miles in a single oil pump per my anylist report. Synethic Rotella still has plenty of protecting qualities at 15,000 miles in my diesel truck per my oil reports. What happens to most good oil is the metals that will always be there stack-up without changing. Yes you can run Asmoil for 20-30,000 miles however there will be too much metals that are not removed with the filter.

Will Rotella break down in a 4 hr race?? I bet not nor would any other oil that is produce today for extreme duty. More shere forces are within diesel motors and transmissions than a 4 hr race.

I feel based on my oil testing that any synethic oil will last longer that 4-6 hrs oil changes on bikes. There are several types of synethic oils, choose wisely.

I would like to see something to back this up! Coming from a Asmoil dealer/reseller I question it.

Dyno Rotella is not great but will last in a twin HP oil pump for a Ford/International diesel motor up to 7,000 miles. This was proven with oil analyist. Dyno Rotella will last just under 10,000 miles in a single oil pump per my anylist report. Synethic Rotella still has plenty of protecting qualities at 15,000 miles in my diesel truck per my oil reports. What happens to most good oil is the metals that will always be there stack-up without changing. Yes you can run Asmoil for 20-30,000 miles however there will be too much metals that are not removed with the filter.

Will Rotella break down in a 4 hr race?? I bet not nor would any other oil that is produce today for extreme duty. More shere forces are within diesel motors and transmissions than a 4 hr race.

I feel based on my oil testing that any synethic oil will last longer that 4-6 hrs oil changes on bikes. There are several types of synethic oils, choose wisely.

You are missing a few critical points. Your diesel holds 15 quarts, has an oil cooler and runs at 2 to 3 thousand rpm's. Your bike holds one quart, has no oil cooler and runs up to 11,500 rpm's. That alone is a huge difference.

Correct my if I'm wrong but is the hp oil pump on a Powerstroke a piston pump not a gear pump?