Found A Gear Tooth on Magnetic Oil Plug 05' WR450 --HELP PLEASE!!

First off I want to say thanks for all the great write-ups and discussions here!

I have a 05 WR450 with a couple thousand miles on it. I was changing the oil and found a gear tooth stuck to my magnetic oil plug :cheers: I checked the kick starter gears and everything on that side seems fine. I am pretty sure its from the gearbox since I rode the ? out of it at Holliseter Hills the weekend before. I est. the bike at $3000 (before the gear broke off). The bike runs and shifts fine from my ride around the block. I am missing out on some great riding right now because I'm not sure what I should do?

-Pull the gearbox off and replace the damaged gear. est $500-1800.

-Sell the bike as is.

-Keep riding until it grenades & then sell for parts.

I just bought a house & am getting married in June so I'm broke ?

Any Ideas Please!

-Graham

If you do the work your self, and are only talking about the damaged gear(s), your 500-1800 estimate is WAY to high. Maybe a benjaimin or buck fifty in gaskets, seals, o-rings, piston rings and such, and another hundie in gears...If you plan on doing a complete rebuild (with valves, springs, piston, rod and crank bearings, clutch plates and machine work), the 1500-1800 range is about right.

I'm currently rebuilding after a similar mishap. A broken piece got into the crank gear and chipped one of its teeth. For new crank bearings, piston, rings, a few gears and some trans bearings, I'm into it about $350. ebay for used stuff and Zanotti for oem ?

Was the broken part a whole tooth or just the very tip?? If it was just the tip, that shouldn't cause a problem since the tip is not load bearing.
Yep and I'd spend a weekend pulling it apart and getting just the right thing. It may be far cheaper and easier than you think.

GPN - I had this same thing happen to me. I lost the dogs from one of the gears for 4th. I ended up replacing some other gears that were a bit pitted as I wanted to keep the bike for a while. I also did piston and rings. I did all the work myself and it cost me about $450 when it was all said and done.

It took me an evening after work to get the motor out and apart. The parts took about 1.5 weeks since one of the damn gears was back ordered. But once I got all the parts I got everything back together on a Saturday. If you have never done it before don't be worried. Just following the instructions in your manual. Yami manuals are actually great tools. Ping us for questions as you move forward. You are welcome to PM me and I'll give you my email address. ?