HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danger16

Shock Collar

5 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is obvious and I'm using a poor search technique, but I'm trying to find out the best way to gain access to the shock collar to adjust the preload and set the sag on a 2009 YZ 450. It is not easy to get to the shock collar. I'm also interested in what to use to move the ring, I'm assuming a long screw driver / punch and a hammer?

I traded my 2008 KTM 250 SX for this bike and am going through the whole bike to get it set-up for hare scrambles.

It's a pain in the butt. But DON'T use a screwdriver. You'll cut the lock ring. Find a piece of brass or aluminum rod or 1/4x1 scrap and use that. Once you have the lock ring loosened, you can reach under the air box and turn the adjuster by turning the bottom of the spring (if the bike is up on a stand).

Or, you could go this way:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881489

I set my shock up initially for my weight after I installed a 5.9 DSP spring in it, and have had the shock apart a total of 5 times. I've used a screwdriver every time and haven't cut my lock ring.

April 30/10 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 10.2 hrs

June 18/10 New fork & shock springs, replaced outer chamber oil in forks @ 20.3 hrs

July 21/10 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 30.8hrs

Sept 30/10 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 50.5 hrs

April 21/11 Fork oil (both chambers) and shock fluid replaced @ 70.3 hrs

Tightening up the spring I do by hand, when the shock is on my work bench. I'd think it might be a little tricky if it was in the bike but worth a try ? I used the hammer & screwdriver method when the shock was in the bike.

I have a 1/4 steel rod I put a small joggle in, fits nicely between airbox and reservoir, and from the front by the carb.