HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasen 2007

Looking for advice on an exhaust system

5 posts in this topic

My bike is an 05 YZ450f. Its got great power, just looking for a little more. My son has an 06 KX450f with a pro circuit TI4 system on it. It seems to pull a little harder than mine. It also feels a little smoother all the way through the power. I would like to know what you guys recommend.

Thanks

There are many exhausts that are great and very comparable. On my 09 yz450f im going to get the fmf 4.1 with the megabomb. That should add some bottom and mid and top.

The powercore 4 should be a good pipe for the price.

I heard that the DRD is an excellent pipe and you cant beat the price of it either. It should add some bottom and mid and maybe top.

But heres the thing, i never got to run these pipes so maybe poeple who have them can help you out better than i can, im just going by from what people have said.

But there are many more brands, MRD , leo vince , arkapovic, gytr, etc. But also what kind of riding are you doing?

What about this, The previous owner of my bike removed 4 inches from the stock silencer. I didnt notice this untill I saw another 05 side by side with mine. The bike seems to run fine, I just dont know enough about 4 stroke exhaust to know what this will hurt or help... This was the reason I was looking to get an aftermarket system.

What about this, The previous owner of my bike removed 4 inches from the stock silencer. I didnt notice this untill I saw another 05 side by side with mine. The bike seems to run fine, I just dont know enough about 4 stroke exhaust to know what this will hurt or help... This was the reason I was looking to get an aftermarket system.

Removing ~ 4" of the muffler will reduce back pressure, have significant effect on scavenging and depending on the bike's fuel system a negative effect on fuel economy; if it's strictly carburetor then it will lean out the fuel/air ratio slightly as well.

Generally speaking homemade mods on exhaust / fuel systems in performance oriented engines are detrimental to longevity; further more these mods when made without the benefit of a gas analyzer (and a baseline set of values) are also detrimental to longevity. Yamaha (as with all reputable power sport manufacturers) place tremendous resources into making their engines reliable and powerful; I'd turn to them first to see if there was a kit available (be it either exhaust or what have you) for your specific model.