HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NICK_FELT

WANT TO BUT YZ400F?

2 posts in this topic

I AM GOING TO BUY A 400 THIS SUMMER AND NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOW LONG WILL A PISTON LAST?(IN HOURS) I KNOW THEY WILL LAST A COUPLE YEARS IF THEY ARE NOT RIDDEN TO HARD WITCH I DONT THINK I WILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT. IS THEIR ANY OTHER REALLY IMPORTANT THINGS TO LOOK FOR? THANKS :)

I don't think there is a definitive number of engine hours between piston changes for this machine. Keeping clean oil in...and dirt out..are the main factors in piston longevity for the 400/426. From there, you get into how often the engine was run in the high RPM range...etc. It's not uncommon for these engines to go 3 years on a piston. I estimate that my 426 has over 100 hours of engine time and is still mechanically quiet...makes excellent compression...doesn't smoke...lose oil..etc. Then again, I'm an old cautious geezer guy who isn't as hard on his engine as the fast young guns.