What flywheel weight?

Hi. I use my bike for woods riding and want better low speed stall control. Clutching all the time wears me out and overheats my bike easier. I would like to know how heavy a flywheel weight to use. I run a 13/52 gearing now but may change to 13/51 for more top end in the open if weight helps. Thanks for your opinion.

Thank you for all the replies. It seems like the 9 ounce is the way to go. Can anyone tell me what effect a 13 will have? The Rekluse is out of my budget at this time. Also where is the best place to buy a flywheel weight? Is 1 brand better than another?

I don't know whether you would be able to perceive a loss of "snap" with a thirteen ounce weight or not, but I tend to doubt it would be very much at all. I can tell you that the only perceptible difference with the 9 ounce is that the traction improves a little, the engine is a little less prone to stalling, and runs noticeably smoother and pulls noticeably harder at low speeds under a load. It definitely does not slow the bike down in any way.

Thanks Gray. I have been having some troubles the last couple years with flameouts. I would not like to replace my clutch again so I am getting ideas to make a better trail machine. Do you know of a way to stop this besides a flywheel? I sorta want to go to a 13/51 combo to have better top end for the haunts between single track. I just don't want to lose the bottom end either.

Hello there, I a newbe to thumper talk but have installed a 17oz flywheel on my 08 yzf450. I'm not tall and only trail ride (I have the same sprocket ratio). Back to the flywheel, they are great for low speed control and traction. Doesn't remove any power but slows it's delivery. However I've found that I cannot race start in 2nd gear anymore (1st pulls better thou) and in a recent mud ride, it didn't like pulling from low rpm (1st gear,in 2 foot of mud) but keep the rpm up and there's no stoppin it. I love it.

Garreth

So I have a funny flyweel thing going on - I bought a Steahly +12oz flywheel assembly for my 2000 YZ426F a while back. With less than 10 hours on it, the heads of the bolts securing the weight to the flyweel sheared off, and the weight was free to spin on the wheel.

When it happened, there was a horrible rattling, clattering sound from behind the ignition cover. The bolt heads were being tossed around in there like the balls in a lotto tumbler. The area was awash with metal shavings. I have since split the cases and found the con rod big end bearing was on its way to being munched. I cleaned it all up, replaced the crank and a couple bearings, and have been running the bike with the stock flywheel.

I just sent my destroyed flywheel back to Steahly with a polite letter asking if it could be repaired, or if it needed to be replaced, and how I could make sure such a failure didn't happen again.

It's my understanding that the weight was supposed to be a press fit to the flywheel, and that the bolts shouldn't have been under stress like that.

I'll let you know what Steahly says if they get back to me.

I have this one on my 07, works good.

Fits '06-'09 YZ450F

Adds 9.21 oz. for an inertia mass of 6.15 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²)

Item: GYT-2S297-50-50 Usually Ships In

6-10 Business Days

MSRP: $104.95

Our Price: $83.96

http://www.powerpartsplus.com/pages_catalogs_viewproductdetail_26_200_400_5604_all_0_0_1_4_49_100_0/yamahagytr-offroad-flywheel.aspx

• 3 months later...
...I just sent my destroyed flywheel back to Steahly with a polite letter asking if it could be repaired, or if it needed to be replaced, and how I could make sure such a failure didn't happen again.

It's my understanding that the weight was supposed to be a press fit to the flywheel, and that the bolts shouldn't have been under stress like that.

I'll let you know what Steahly says if they get back to me.

Steahly helped me out. They repaired my broken flywheel and sent it back to me free of charge. I have since installed it, and am enjoying better traction out of corners, and less stalling on the brakes!

I put a 9 oz. flywheel weight on my 09 yz450f with a 50t rear sproket and that pretty much cured my flamming out problem in the woods...The weight does not take away any performance and helps smooth the power delivery...