HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HighRevz

WR vs. YZ durability?

13 posts in this topic

Good Morning,

Do you guys think a WR will go twice the distance than a YZ before teardown or valve replacement? ......being all things equal riding both in the woods and not racing? I know the WR will last a little longer with it's lower comp. and mild cam but I aint screaming 'em all day anyhow so either is gonna last a while for me. Just wodering if it's THAT's much of a durability difference of the WR going 3-4 years vs YZ's 2 years or so before rebuild.

Semper Fi, .......I'll post this in the WR section as well.

~Lee

Both will last a long time with fresh oil and clean airfilters.

I wouldn't want to ride a YZ in the woods.

Follow the maint schedule and both will run a long time. Biggest things that kill these 4 strokes are:

- Bouncing off the rev limiter

- Lack of oil and filter changes

- Lack of air filter maint

- Not checking and adjusting the valves per schedule

Don't do those things and either will last a long time. No real difference between the motors to cause one or the other to last longer the other.

Mike

Follow the maint schedule and both will run a long time. Biggest things that kill these 4 strokes are:

- Bouncing off the rev limiter

- Lack of oil and filter changes

- Lack of air filter maint

- Not checking and adjusting the valves per schedule

Don't do those things and either will last a long time. No real difference between the motors to cause one or the other to last longer the other.

Mike

......REALLY?? So if I bought a YZ and trail rode it, it will last 300-500 hours (valves, rings, piston) like I read about on the WR's with proper maint. and valve lash inspection/adjustments?????

Thnx for the reply!

......REALLY?? So if I bought a YZ and trail rode it, it will last 300-500 hours (valves, rings, piston) like I read about on the WR's with proper maint. and valve lash inspection/adjustments?????

Thnx for the reply!

Yes the yz wll last that long. I have an 09yz with over 400 hrs of hard riding in mostly single track. No valve adjustment, no timing chain replacement and original top end. Starts first or second kick. Uses no oil.

I do use Redline polyol ester oil and maxima air filter oil and perform regular maintenance. The yz is magical in the woods with the addition of a Rekluse Pro.

Remove all Advertisements

You should base the longevity on other things than just years. Hours are a good place to start. Other things like type of oil and the frequency of oil changes will play a part. Air cleaner maintenance and the type of air filter oil is also very important. And lastly, I would look at the type of riding and how much time is spent at higher rpm's.

Nice, I thought only the WR's get the big hours on them. thnx.

negative, the yz motor will last just as long, with all things being equal(usage, maintenance, etc...). These motors are wonderful and bulletproof.

Overheating in the woods is the only difference i would think. The last big muddy race i went to had all the r models blowing steam. That is the only thing i can think of that would make a difference. Ive never had to do adjustments or rebuilds like i seen guys doing. I think a lot of bikes are over maintained. Oil changes and filter changes and regular valve checks.... no problems.

I know it's not a 450, but I bought a '98 yz400f. Trail rode it heavily for 6 years and only had to replace clutch. I've got a wr450 now and have had more problems than with my yz.

Both will last a long time with fresh oil and clean airfilters.

I wouldn't want to ride a YZ in the woods.

really?

I feel different about my wr

I wish I had bought a YZ and adapted it instead

Bought a "new" YZ400f back in 98....rode it hard and often in Baja and the desert with XR 600's and later XR650r's. Only did the standard oil changes-air filter cleaning-valve adjustments. Never a issue otherwise in 5-years. What a Great Bike!! :smirk:

Got a 2003 WR450 with E-button and had lots of problems:banghead:

Now I have a 05 Wr450. Just a tad over 10,000 miles of riding and still going strong. :smirk:

really?

I feel different about my wr

I wish I had bought a YZ and adapted it instead

The grass is always greener on the other side. I've had both and wish that I had my WR sometimes and the YZ other times. The WR works better all around for me. The only place is really lacks is on the track. Woods the YZ was great until you got in the really tight stuff.

I don't think that the bike determines the durability, it's the mechanic that determines it's lifespan.