HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salemonkey

crankshaft main bearings yz 426

6 posts in this topic

im currently rebuilding my 02 yz426 becuase my rod bearing siezed on me.(just sent my crank out to mr. crankshaft) i got a few questions first; has anyone used these hot rods bearings for the main crankshaft bearings http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-YZ426F-YZ426-CRANKSHAFT-CRANK-BEARINGS-00-02-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35b08292f5QQitemZ230594614005QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

found this one on ebay for a set for 60$ compared to 50$ a piece for the oem 's. curious what others have done or if these are one of those parts you should go oem.

next question ; all the bearings appear to be in good shape and turn smoothly. but i know you guys are going to tell me to replace them anyways sence im in there. does anyone have a link to someone that sells all the bearings as a kit. or should i just go on bikebandit and buy the oem bearings one by one. aftermarket one by one?

next question; i keep reading that i should replace my timing chain while im in there as well. do these chains have short lives or is it just a paranoid preventive maintenace thing? my chain moves smooth/free and is very tight when installed should i replace it still? would these be considered a interference head like on cars if it was to break?

also whats normal wear for the oil pumps? there is cirlcular grooves on the metal star and housing. but they still spin freely

already got my cylinder cleaned up and will be ordering a new piston kit as well. thanks for reading and looking forward to reading any input.

i would also like to ask, who else had problems with those damn star bolts coming out. really shitty to put a star bolt when it has threadlocker on it.(ya i know they need to have it flush just ranting) some of them i got out just fine. but three of them i had to use the easy out on it. same with the stater bolts. every other bolt on this bike hasnt gave me issues. besides some of the plastic bolts i changed over to a normal 10mm bolt.

I used a hotrods bearing kit for my 250f, they work just fine. Also, i'm in the middle of putting a new rod and bearing in my new 2000 yz426f...I wouldn't change any bearings, if you don't need to. There made to last a long time while using the correct oil. If there tight and spin free, leave em be. Unless, your doing it for peace of mind. Those bearings add up quick, if your replacing all of them. I priced them for my 426 thinking I was gonna need em. Luckily, I don't

i would also like to ask, who else had problems with those damn star bolts coming out. really shitty to put a star bolt when it has threadlocker on it.(ya i know they need to have it flush just ranting) some of them i got out just fine. but three of them i had to use the easy out on it. same with the stater bolts. every other bolt on this bike hasnt gave me issues. besides some of the plastic bolts i changed over to a normal 10mm bolt.
The Torx bolts (not "star") have never been a problem for me. They're a far better choice than either a Phillips or Allen head.

If you had taken the proper approach to the problem when you first ran into trouble with them, you'd have been fine. Either the good old hammer impact driver, or the simple application of some heat would have solved your problem up front.

The 426 had no plastic bolts that I'm aware of, although there were some aluminum ones.

The Torx bolts (not "star") have never been a problem for me. They're a far better choice than either a Phillips or Allen head.

If you had taken the proper approach to the problem when you first ran into trouble with them, you'd have been fine. Either the good old hammer impact driver, or the simple application of some heat would have solved your problem up front.

The 426 had no plastic bolts that I'm aware of, although there were some aluminum ones.

ya i suppose i could of done the heat or impact. now i like the allen heads a lot better then a phillips or torx.(called it a star because thats what they look like to me lol) as far as taking them off. and technically the torx are not a problem for me if theres not permathread on them haha. i didnt do to bad on the torx bolts only 3 out of 15 i couldnt get out. some where definitly a lot easier to get out then others. but like grayracer said if your not me definitly go about it the right way.

and im talking about the bolts that hold the plastics on the bike that used a phillips style. at least mine came with them when i bought it. i dont understand why you would want a phillips bolt on something you would take off so much and also want it snug. to easy to strip them over time.

I wish all of the damn bolt heads on dirtbikes would either be allen head or torx heads.