HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gtsmpuc

07 450 head question

9 posts in this topic

Do these valves look like they are seated right, as far as the build up of carbon on either side of the smooth surface of the seat? The bike was put back together out of time, when i got it and you can see small scuffs on the piston and the 3 intake valves. Valves slide great in the head, so im thinking new springs and just put them back together. Also what is a good cleaner for the head and the valves, to remove the carbon build up.

Photo-0493.jpg

Photo-0492.jpg

here are the spots where the valves touched the piston. Motor was completely out of time when i tore it down, piston was also rolled over. Guy said he thought the crank was bad, it checked out great, but not sure what caused this.

head1.jpg

piston1.jpg

Yes, they look alright assemble them, tap the stems lightly with a small hammer to bounce the valves off the seats a little, then check them for sealing with solvent. Back in the days when you could get "real" carb cleaner, there was something that would just dissolve the carbon off the valves by soaking them overnight and then lightly brushing. Now, I don't know of any one thing that's better than anything else. You can use a wire brush on a bench grinder, BUT DON'T brush the sealing face of the valve or the part of the stem that runs in the guide.

You can still get the good ol' carb cleaner but only in 5 gal. buckets which is not very cost effective for personal use. You probably can't get it in CA though.

You can still get the good ol' carb cleaner but only in 5 gal. buckets which is not very cost effective for personal use. You probably can't get it in CA though.
Yeah, but the stuff works so well that I'd buy one and just use it for the next ten years. I used to bring the old stuff home from the dealership that the tune up guys didn't want anymore and use that. Maybe next time I drive to Arizona....

Thanks everyone! Im pumped to get a new top end ordered next week and try to fire it. Before i pulled the valve, i did spray some degreaser in the head, it was all i had. After sitting about 2-3 minutes, you could see dampness coming through the valves. It wasnt wet, but like damp concrete. Thats when i pushed on the valve and when it seated you could hear the carbon or dirt on the seats. In the pic of th valve it was after i wiped it off with a rag.

Yeah, but the stuff works so well that I'd buy one and just use it for the next ten years. I used to bring the old stuff home from the dealership that the tune up guys didn't want anymore and use that. Maybe next time I drive to Arizona....

I love that shit.