airbox boot to carb

I recently removed my seat and loosened my subframe to change my shock spring, upon putting it all back together I noticed the airbox boot (although close) wasnt fitting on the carb right, I adjusted, re-adjusted fought with it and THINK I got it back on there, I cant really see all around the carb to make sure, now Im scared to ride because Im afraid Ill suck dirt if its not on right, whats the trick? is there a way to be SURE ITS ON RIGHT? I listened for an air leak, squirted water around the collar hoping if it was leaking it would cause the engine to stumble, but there has got to be a better way, anyone else dealt with this? thanks for any help... Rob

:thumbsup: real tight fit in there grrrr...

08 wr450f

It's a major pain to get that back on but you should be able to see it? You have to loosen the clamp much more than you might think. I get a long screwdriver in between the the shock spring to help it back on.

I wish I could see, on the 08 wr with aluminum frame its next to impossble to see, I cant even get my fingers all the way around the carb venturi to feel if its on there... thanks for the reply...

Put mine on last night. With a flashlight I was able to see all around.

Run a dab of 2 stroke oil around the boot flange with your finger. Now it will slide on easy.

Run a dab of 2 stroke oil around the boot flange with your finger. Now it will slide on easy.

I use WD40 but results are the same :thumbsup:

Like 'she' says, a lil lube never hurt anything :thumbsup:

ill try it thanks!

If there was any sort of leak then you'd know by spraying water around it...the engine would definately stumble. I think you're ok.

If there was any sort of leak then you'd know by spraying water around it...the engine would definately stumble. I think you're ok.

I was taught to get a small propane torch and turn the gas on (no flame) and move around suspected area and if there is a leak the gas will be drawn into the motor and the rpm's will rise. Much safer than water IMO

I'd use carb cleaner myself, but yeah, same concept!!

I was taught to get a small propane torch and turn the gas on (no flame) and move around suspected area and if there is a leak the gas will be drawn into the motor and the rpm's will rise. Much safer than water IMO

safer for who?

safer for who?

hahaha i was wondering the same thing. it would be really nice if you found an electrical short/spark with your torch. then you just might get real lucky and burn a hole through your gas tank :thumbsup:.