Accel Battery Eliminators

Has anybody any experience with these. Claims to boost spark and reduce flickering lights at low rpms .... just what my WR400 needs sometimes.

as sold on Accel Battery Eliminators

bump

Looks like a capacitor to me.

Anybody tried it. Think it will work ?

Yeah, I think it will work. A cap can replace a battery, but has less energy density (it holds much less charge than a battery of the same volume). If you have electric start for example, it may not have enough charge to even turn the engine over. And it may not hold a charge very long. My guess is that your bike would be like a Pre 03 WR, dependent on the engine to run the lights and your leg to start. What bike were you going to put it on, an 03 wr? A wr400 doesn't have a battery, does it?

As far as the flicker claims, hmmm, that might be suspect. The brighter lights might just come from regulating the cap to a higher voltage (with a downside of less bulb life, higher light temps, etc).

Battery eliminators have been around since the '70's that I know of, maybe earlier. They were common on choppers in the day, where the battery was often removed to clean up the lines of the bike. They do work, on a WR450 they would quite possibly allow you to modify the airbox to get a larger breathing area, which can only help. :)

is it posible to use a eliminator with the battery connected.perhaps his will give th under engineered starter on the 450 a better possibility of starting first hit.i tink ktm have a capacitor and battery.

I was planning to run it on my WR400 to help boost the lights in low rpm situations. Anybody have any idea how to hook up such a gadget to do that ?

cheers

I think you will need DC current to use any capacitor or battery. I believe the stock WR has an AC alternator and will need a rectifier (like comes in a Baja Kit) to use.

I thinking of trying one to replace the battery in my Dual-sported 2000 WR. (My bike has a rectifier).

I presume the batt eliminator weighs less than a battery, no?

I didn't read the claims carefully enough-yes the Cap should smooth out the voltage so you don't get a fluctuating waveform in time, which is what is causing the flicker. But the voltage must be DC, or at least DC biased. A cap that size will have no impedance at these low frequencies on a pure AC waveform. You will be wasting your time and money putting it on without a rectifier.

That looks like an electrolytic cap and they are very light for their size.

I installed the White Brother "Battery Eliminator" on my 2002 wr 426.

At first I had a small battery that seemed to work OK until it couldn't hold the charge anymore :).

It seemed that the type of batt I used was overcharged from the bike system. I tought that the AC regulator already installed on the bike in serie with the 35 amps rectifier was to do the job, but as it appeared, it doesn't regulate the DC charge on the battery, meaning when the battery is full it should stop the charge. So I installed the Batt Elim, but the end result is that the bike is running like there is no battery as it came originally. May be the batt elim is not working properly. Lights fluctuate and slow blinking of the turn signals with no horn. But when revs are up, all is OK.

If anyone can give feedback on this Batt Elim set up, it will be appreciated. Also what about a voltage regulator fitted to the task ?

Get a voltmeter. Put it in "DC Volts" mode. Measure the voltage accross the terminals of the cap after you ride the bike, both while idling and after the motor is shut off. Lets see if the cap is getting and holding a DC charge.

Thanks for the info :)

I'll do just that tomorrow and let you know the results.

Thanks

I checked the set up on my bike. I realised that the way the battery eliminator is hooked up in my circuit, it doesn't do a lot... I unplugged the batt elim and the lightning equipement still works Oups ! :)

I better check on my wiring. What is the proper way to connect the batt elim (capacitor) ? May be there is someone that can send a simple diagram on how to connect it ?

In any case, thanks for the info :D

I went back to the info forwarded by Rich from Orlando when I set up the bike with a battery. I was wondering if the capacitor is to be installed at the same place of the battery in the wiring diagram attached here

http://home.cfl.rr.com/bumar/images/WR400/wiring%20diagram.jpg

The diagram you have is good. The cap is a direct sub for the battery, including polarity. Hook it up like its a battery.

If you want an explanation of what's happening, here goes:

The voltage that comes out stator varies from a positive to a negative voltage, like waves in a tank, both above and below the water level (zere voltage or "ground"). The frequency varies as the rpms change. The amplitude (height of the waves) also varies, but is considerably in excess of 12 volts of a battery.

Next this voltage is run into the regulator, which clips the tops and bottoms off the waves, so that the voltage never gets too far from ground in either + or - polarity, (probably less that 35V, if I remember right).

Next the regulated voltage goes into a rectifier, which is an araingement of diodes that only let the current flow one direction. What this does is flip the sign on the negative voltage, so it becomes positive, but not vise-versa. So anytime the voltage is -20V, it becomes +20 volts, and any time its +20V, it stays +20 V.

Now you have a voltage that varies from 0V to something less than 35V. If you run this into a battery or a cap, its like taking a garden hose that is pulsing and dumping it into a bucket. A hole in the bottom of a bucket will flow at a steady rate that is the average of the pulsing garden hose. And that is what you use to run your lights, you get a steady voltage so they won't flicker.

Be aware that a battery is a very large bucket, while this cap will be a small bucket. So if your garden hose pulsing changes, the small bucket (cap) drains quicker than a large one (battery).

Thanks for the info,

I did some testing today.

With the lights on, the voltage is about half of what it is when the lights are off. :)

I think I have to do more research to fully understand why my system isn't working as it should.

I'll get back to you

Thanks