Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wyld One

WR450F Updates

14 posts in this topic

2003 was the first year.

2004 the crank was changed on the left side and a revised electric starter drive was fitted. Revised ignition mapping.

2005 the forks were changed to 48mm from 46mm, some revisions in tranny gear material, and a new aluminum kickstand. New muffler and longer headpipe. The cylinder head casting was changed making the intake port smaller. AIS introduced. Front brake line re-routed with new fork guards (similar to YZ). Revised ignition mapping. Went to YZ style radiator shrouds, new left side plate with hole.

2006 got a fancy electronic speedo/odo, revised ignition map (again), and more tranny upgrades. Renthal 7/8 bars.

2007 all new machine w/aluminum frame. 1st year that the WR has cams unique to the WR (all prior years had cams very similar to YZ). Pro-Taper bars. Wider footpegs. Same non-twin chamber forks as 2006. Rear shock has 16mm shaft vs. YZ's 18mm.

2008-2011 no significant changes.

1 person likes this

hopefully soon to come they'll just toss headlight, tail light and a license plate on the current YZ :thumbsup:

I assume one year they fixed the valve cover casting to get rid of the port for the old compression release, the hole that was capped with a cheesy plastic plug. Or do the newer WR's still have that plug?

I assume one year they fixed the valve cover casting to get rid of the port for the old compression release, the hole that was capped with a cheesy plastic plug. Or do the newer WR's still have that plug?

It wasn't the valve cover it was the cylinder head that had the provision for the compression release. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong)that 05 was the first year that the compression release provision wasn't machined into the head.

Steve

Thanks guys! In that case I might look around for something between 2007-2011.

I got one for sale... Little far from austrailia though...lol

Thanks guys! In that case I might look around for something between 2007-2011.

It's not that cut and dried , though. Yes the 07-up is the "newest" but if you tinker at all the steel frames are much easier to work on and ride 90% as well stock as the newer ones.

Just saying. Not that I'm biased, but from what others have said and my experiences have shown other than the starter issues on the 03 (easily fixed) and the decompressor plugs on the 03-04 (also easily fixed) they are all pretty similar.

If you want latest and greatest, get an 07+, otherwise if you want the greatest get any 450.

Mike

My only concern with the steel framed models is rust.

Unless you are going to be submarining your WR on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about it. Have you ever known anyone who had to replace a frame do to rust?

Unless you are going to be submarining your WR on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about it. Have you ever known anyone who had to replace a frame do to rust?

I might have to on my 99 :thumbsup: gonna get her running then blast the frame and see... It spent a lot of time at the beach though with the ocean water.

My only concern with the steel framed models is rust.

Wash it.....WD40.....???

2003 was the first year.

2004 the crank was changed on the left side and a revised electric starter drive was fitted. Revised ignition mapping.

2005 the forks were changed to 48mm from 46mm, some revisions in tranny gear material, and a new aluminum kickstand. New muffler and longer headpipe. The cylinder head casting was changed making the intake port smaller. AIS introduced. Front brake line re-routed with new fork guards (similar to YZ). Revised ignition mapping. Went to YZ style radiator shrouds, new left side plate with hole.

2006 got a fancy electronic speedo/odo, revised ignition map (again), and more tranny upgrades. Renthal 7/8 bars.

2007 all new machine w/aluminum frame. 1st year that the WR has cams unique to the WR (all prior years had cams very similar to YZ). Pro-Taper bars. Wider footpegs. Same non-twin chamber forks as 2006. Rear shock has 16mm shaft vs. YZ's 18mm.

2008-2011 no significant changes.

....Great reply! .....gas in your tank :thumbsup: