2004 WR450F bringin' her back from the dead project

Good job, I've been enjoying this thread. :lol:

Bike looks great. I've been waiting for a good picture of a white UFO rear fender on one of these as I was thinking it would look about that good.

:ride:

Man, I really like that white rear fender. Is it a UFO?

I just got done doing my 04 as well, pretty much cosmetic only for me though as I did the engine last year. Pic's on the "what did you do to your WR" thread.

Yeah, it's the UFO enduro rear fender for the 04 WR450. I called UFO, and they special ordered the part for me. P/N YA03891046 Although I need a new rear LED assembly for it because with my recent charging issues, it over voltaged the low light setting killing all the LED's. But, good news the high setting still works as advertised :lol:

Back from the dead (congratulations)...looking god...AND what appears to be a full plate on the back..

Sweeet!!!!

Unfortunately it's not a full "street legal" plate, it's insured as a OHV right now, but that'll be in the works for this winter. Here in the small town of Cold Lake, we can run OHV's on side streets which includes ATV's, UTV's, Sleds and dirtbikes.. so long as they're insured and you're not acting like a d-bag then the RC's generally turn a blind eye. Not to mention, but there's trails EVERYWHERE.. so on the sides of every highway there's quad/bike tracks that you can use to travel longer distances. One of the more memorable OHV's that I've witnessed on the downtown streets was a ride on lawn mower, that appearantly was acceptable to go grocery shopping with :ride:

Well, I picked up another piece of the puzzle today for the bike off kijiji.

2121gab_20.jpg

As you can probably tell, they're a set of 17x3.5 & 17x4.25 Excel Pro-Series wheels with spare front wheels, 45t R sprocket, and a EBC big brake. There isn't a mark on any of the rims, rear sprocket is new never used, and the BB looks to be very lightly used (but it'll be my spare). Meeza pretty stoked !!!! They'll go really well with the hurricane yzf setup/street conversion in the near future.

So a few more updates to share. I FINALLY got my jetting sorted out. Over 15 new plugs later, countless hours of doing full throttle, part throttle, plug reading mayham, I think I've finally got her cased. Whole reason why I went thru so many plugs, is because the actual carburator was the culprit of my troubles. One instant it would show signs of being too lean, next moment it would be rich, next instant it would be fine... it was REALLY frustrating. I was documenting every carb setting, along with a "ride report" on what kind of riding I happened to be doing atm, tempurature outside, barometric pressure, how the bike acted on said ride, along with a picture of every plug tip after aprox the same lenght of ride.. Everytime I was getting mixed reviews. So I started thinking that maybe I had a post carb leak, exhaust leak, something leak going somewhere. I pressure tested the system, and everything turned out good.... So... I started thinking that maybe my problems was due to the actual carburator... Turns out, I was right.

I ended up picking up a 40mm FCR from a 08 KLX450R off ebay with fairly low hours complete with throttle cables and hot start cable. I checked the jetting on the carb, and I only ended up having to change out pilot jet from the 42 to a 48. The main jet I left alone at 172, NCVR needle on the 3rd spot from the top, and fuel screw at ~1.5 turns. The bike now pulls so hard it nearly threw me clear of the bars.

But, while I was out playing around on the bike with the new found power on the local motoX track, I ended up breaking one of a front forks with a extreme fail landing off a woop. I came over the woop, the front suspension being almost dry of oil, absorbed the bump, the rear suspension being in good repair didn't kicking the arse to high to recover from... combine that with some higher than usual speeds meant the bike went into a hard hitting nose dive into a embankment sending me over the bars. Once I gathered myself up doing the "ok, wiggle your toes... good... now wiggle your fingers... good" check, I picked the bike up only to notice that the right fork now was bent.. lol..

So.. off to pick up a new set of forks. I decided why not "upgrade" to the newer 48mm forks found on a 06+ WR for a little added security knowing that there just a little bit more beefy than the last. I found a nice 06 WR450 front end, ordered it and installed it in a afternoon. Now.. she's silky smooth.. YAHOO!!!

Lets see what I can break next.. lol

So a few more updates to share. I FINALLY got my jetting sorted out. Over 15 new plugs later, countless hours of doing full throttle, part throttle, plug reading mayham, I think I've finally got her cased. Whole reason why I went thru so many plugs, is because the actual carburator was the culprit of my troubles. One instant it would show signs of being too lean, next moment it would be rich, next instant it would be fine... it was REALLY frustrating. I was documenting every carb setting, along with a "ride report" on what kind of riding I happened to be doing atm, tempurature outside, barometric pressure, how the bike acted on said ride, along with a picture of every plug tip after aprox the same lenght of ride.. Everytime I was getting mixed reviews. So I started thinking that maybe I had a post carb leak, exhaust leak, something leak going somewhere. I pressure tested the system, and everything turned out good.... So... I started thinking that maybe my problems was due to the actual carburator... Turns out, I was right.

I ended up picking up a 40mm FCR from a 08 KLX450R off ebay with fairly low hours complete with throttle cables and hot start cable. I checked the jetting on the carb, and I only ended up having to change out pilot jet from the 42 to a 48. The main jet I left alone at 172, NCVR needle on the 3rd spot from the top, and fuel screw at ~1.5 turns. The bike now pulls so hard it nearly threw me clear of the bars.

But, while I was out playing around on the bike with the new found power on the local motoX track, I ended up breaking one of a front forks with a extreme fail landing off a woop. I came over the woop, the front suspension being almost dry of oil, absorbed the bump, the rear suspension being in good repair didn't kicking the arse to high to recover from... combine that with some higher than usual speeds meant the bike went into a hard hitting nose dive into a embankment sending me over the bars. Once I gathered myself up doing the "ok, wiggle your toes... good... now wiggle your fingers... good" check, I picked the bike up only to notice that the right fork now was bent.. lol..

So.. off to pick up a new set of forks. I decided why not "upgrade" to the newer 48mm forks found on a 06+ WR for a little added security knowing that there just a little bit more beefy than the last. I found a nice 06 WR450 front end, ordered it and installed it in a afternoon. Now.. she's silky smooth.. YAHOO!!!

Lets see what I can break next.. lol

:p:worthy::(:worthy::smirk:

Well.. more parts breakage.. along with some mods...

First order of buisiness.. parts breakage. I bent my Protaper Carmichael 7/8 bars going between a set of tree's which obviously I did a horrible job guesstimating their distance apart.. lol.. both sides of the bars hit pretty hard, clutch side gave way to the force. So while I walked around hunched over waiting for my testicles to drop again from their hiding place in my pelvis from the jackhammer known as the tripple tree.. I decided it was probably time to upgrade to a set of fatbars.. lol.

After I finished putting the new bars on I got the urge to see how the bike handles in motard form to stay as far away from the forest as possible....

This is how she looks..

DSC_4515.jpg

DSC_4519.jpg

and here's a pic with both of my toys in one pic.. I love subaru's.. they're so ugly that they look good

DSC_4518.jpg

I still can't wait until I get the Hurricane kit/conversion to be carried out.. I think she'll look damn sexy. But, funny note about the first ride on the motard wheels. When I took any corner the steering felt really funny.. like the bike wanted to go in a straight line.. and would fight you to the death on any corner.. turns out I had 5 psi tire pressure on both the front and rear wheels... good thing I'm super skinny without any weight, because the tire shape actually took the load keeping the rims off the ground..

I think it's a sign that god is telling me to gain some weight.. :eek:

Today I decided the add a used Baja Designs kit to the bike. Install went well, it was really easy to do. Unfortunately during the initial startup/functional check of the system, things went from good.. to just about as bad as you can get.

Within a few mins of running, I could smell a faint smell of almost burning plastic. I figured it was just something cooking off the pipe or something.. unfortunately the smell never went away, and it was followed fairly closely by white smoke rising behind the headlight pod. I killed the motor & power to the bike only to find that it was already too late. The BD kit shorted and started a electrical fire, which then melted the front harness of the bike and also put some serious heat to my throttle/clutch/HS cables. I'm a little pissed off, happy friggen b-day to myself. Tomorrow I'll pull the bike apart and inspect the damage. :eek:

More parts arrived in the mail.. the DSK BajaDesigns front harness/switch upgrade.

I started off by disassembling a complete 06 WR450 harness and eliminating a few circuits in the harness. I deleted the headlight, taillight, digital speedo, and factory ignition switch circuits because I didn't need them anymore, along with doing that, I also created another circuit for a front brake switch. Reason for doing this is I'm upgrading my harness to the BD DSK upgrade to the new key switch/handle bar switch assemblies, also I'll be able to replace the bikes actual harness to fix the damage from the little fire. I fully intergrated the center and rear harness of the BD kit with the factory harness, so you cannot tell that anything has been changed... so I didn't want to have to turn-on the key, then push a button, then kick/hit majic button... so now with a simple 12v relay wired into the front harness of the BD's kit mean's that now I can turn the bike on and off with only the flip of a key (just like a normal street bike) then kick. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the bike fired up again to test out the whole system, also I'll post some pictures of the progress.

I am still trying to find a black IMS tank for a 03-06 WR... so if any of you out there has one.. lmk :)

Edited by rs25

got the bike running today (breifly because the tank was removed, so I was only running off of the fuel in the float bowl).. wooohooo.. along with all the electronics working. It's so nice just turning a key then kicking the bike to life.. makes things sooo much easier and I probably won't forget to ever take the key out causing a dead battery.

What a pita though, I tried contacting BajaDesigns to get a wiring diagram for the new DSK kit, unfortunately I was unsuccessfull in doing so. So, last night, I metered every switch/junction/splice to figure out exactly what the kit was wanting to do. I got it working, along with running a spare starter solenoid relay to power the ignition by a key flip. It's so nice having a sense of accomplishment by the end of the weekend, of what I wanted to happen, actually happen.

Anyways, I'm a little "sun fawked" from standing in the sun all day, so I'm not gonna go into any detail of how I managed to bypass the factory ignition switch.. maybe tomorrow once this headache subsides. Maybe tomorrow that Vapor unit might show up so I can complete the install and get this bike certified for street use.... damn last piece of the puzzle.. damn you DHL.. damn you all to hell with your shiatty crossborder service.

Well I know I said that I'd post some pictures. So here you ppl go, she's ready now for the inspection on friday to get her officially licensed for road usage. Let me know what you think...

DSC_4552.jpg

DSC_4556.jpg

I didn't like the BajaDesigns huge mofo turn signals, so as you maybe have noticed on the rear number plates I mounted a set of UFO brake LED brake light assemblies to fill the need for turn signals. I think they actually work better as turn signals than they did as a brake light because the lip on the rear fender partially blocked the light coming from the brake assembly.. and MY GOSH the things are bright, you can easily see the blink from over 200ft away. Next I installed a DRC taillight assembly, because the thing has A: a huge unobtrusive lens, and B: a white light which illuminates the license plate. Which is a requirement here for road usage.

Then to "hide" the front turn signals provided with the BD kit I installed a set of Zeta XC barkbusters with amber turn signals integrated into them, again to keep me legal with the color of the lenses.

DSC_4551.jpg

Last but not least, to keep me travelling at a reasonable rate on the pavement I installed a TrailTech Vapor Steath, along with the key'd ignition.

DSC_4554.jpg

I'll be redoing the mount for the vapor into the factory location tucked farther forward like the OEM speedo assembly.

Are those carbon fiber bars ???

yeppers. They kinda matched my whole theme for the bike.. and what I'll be doing this winter. hehe

DSC_4573.jpg

Got her back from the inspection...

SHE PASSED!!!! unfortunately there wasn't enough time in the day to finish the registration. Only thing the inspector didn't like was that I use a non-hardmounted rear view mirror. So, they installed one and signed the documents. I'm soooo happy. Overall the inspector appeared to be very pleased with the bike, and as hard as he tried he couldn't find any outstanding issues with anything.

I'm learning alot here on TT. I'm currently riding a 99 yz400f. But I recently scored a 03 WR450F for cheap. It looks rough but does start and run. It needs a carb kit and possibly has a burnt valve and needs new plastics. All this to say I have a winter project also. I appreciate reading the post on here.

thanks felwil. I essentially made this tread to possibly show people some of the work involved with getting a WR street legal, and more so to document what has transpired with the bike... as kind of a journal record. That way if I do decide to sell the bike at a later date, and there's questions as to what the bike has done to it, I can point them in this direction to read up.

Loving your work, RS25. :smashpc:

Thanks for keeping this thread updated.

I'll keep looking for any future updates.

Thanks Jake,

So I had a small issue with the test mounting of the front brake setup. I picked up a almost new Brembo caliper for the front of the bike, unfortunately I was having issues with the caliper mounting. Seems the brake pads hit the EBC 320mm rotor buttons. :smashpc: The caliper sits in the right spot both centered on the rotor and appropriately spaced outwards to take advantage of the size of the rotor...

Caliper: (with appropriate QTMi adapter bracket)

image.php?image=20475652_62_caliper_p30852_9c81c3.jpg

Now, one of the big questions I have, has anyone ran this caliper before on here? If so, what M/C did you end up using with it? I've got two M/C's sitting on the shelf in the basement, first one is a radial Brembo M/C (16mm) from a R6, and the second is a axial Brembo M/C (13mm ?) from a I think a KTM 640 LC4... Only problem is the KTM unit has a broken lever, and I'd like to keep the OE brake setup together to make quicker changes from street to dirt.

Second set of questions, does anyone know what lenght of SS brake line is needed for a 06 WR? Also, did you have any options as to what line connection ends were installed on it? The R6 M/C has a connection similar to the OE setup using a banjo bolt, where the KTM M/C has the line screwed directly into the M/C without using a banjo bolt. So, before I order anything, I need to find out what M/C route I should be going.

Lastly, does anyone know of any rotor options that are available with a 320mm outter diameter and a pad contact surface of 37mm from the outter edge?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

well I figured it was time to upgrade the most important part of the bike to keep me safer... my helmet.

So this is what I picked up, and my gosh do I ever love this helmet. It's a Icon Speedmetal with a dark smoke visor, and a spare clear and mirrored visor.

DSC_4598.jpg

She's not exactly a great helmet for highway speeds and above, but anything around town it's awesome (under 90km/hr)... I just have to keep reminding myself that my bike isn't really that quiet, and I should probably gear up cause the noise levels I'm hearing is DEFINITELY not what everyone else is hearing. So this is my collection of helmets, there's one for just about every occation I can think of.

DSC_4610.jpg

Round 2 teardown for the winter started today. In about 2hrs, I stripped the bike back down to almost a bare frame so I can start working on it over the winter. Plans for the season;

-re-construct the lighting wiring harness to make it user friendly using MIL spec teflon wire.

-re-build the transmission

-powder coating various parts

-overhaul the braking systems

-color scheme change

-re-spring the suspension for my weight and riding style

-port & polish the head

-retrofit the headlight to a bi-zenon HID projector using a KTM headlight shroud

-more carbon fiber to lighten the pig

-gearing change

that about sums up my plans... hopefully I can stay on track over the next 5-7months while old man winter is around.

Figure it was time for an update. With now a solid 3 inches of snow on the ground outside, I tend to find myself in the basement working on the bike more and more frequently. So, this is what the wiring harness looked like... this is the reason why bikes light on fire.

DSC_4662.jpg

And this is pretty much how I'm working on it.

DSC_4664.jpg

I ordered & received a bunch of connectors, pins, crimpers and some 22awg wire from http://www.corsa-technic.com (really great people to deal with), and now I'm waiting for some 20awg wire to show up from http://www.steinair.com who again were a delight to deal with... then.. let the madness begin.

I mapped out how the upgraded BajaDesigns kit was wired, now, I'm going to apply some changes by deleting some circuits, and adding some circuit protection to lessen any possibility of melted wires or over current.