Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxtanner

buying a bike need some pointers please

8 posts in this topic

ok im not new to the motorcycle thing i have quite a few actually, but i am smart enough to know high compression motors need high octane fuels.

I am currently looking at an 08 yz450f i know the guy who owns the bike. It has a rough idle and has had 87 ran through the gas tank its whole life which is an estimated 20 hours. i heard this could scar the cylinder. Just wondering what some of the other side effects could be?

IMO:

Low grad fuel isn't going cause any damage like that (unless it sits for a long period of time). Although you're better off running supreme at the pump, 91~92. I notice a difference and think the bike runs smoother with higher octane fuel. I personally run 92 non-alcohol(ethanol) witch I get at the VP fuel pump. These bikes are high performance but by no means they pumped up drag race cars.

thanks for the help. i rode the bike today, its weaker than my yz250f but for the price im getting it for and the other bike hes throwing in there i can afford to rebuild it.

^ agreed... that sounds like there is someting else wrong. My 08 has a little over 20hrs on it and it rips, way more power than any 250f I have ever owned

How much $$ you plan on buying it for?

thanks for the help. i rode the bike today, its weaker than my yz250f but for the price im getting it for and the other bike hes throwing in there i can afford to rebuild it.

If your 450 is "weaker" than a 250F, dude you have an issue with that 450's engine somewhere, and I'm speculating an issue beyond the use of 87 octane fuel.

Also, rebuilding a 450F can vary from as little as $300 for a simple top end swap, all the way upwards or $2500 for a complete overhaul... In your best interests, my suggestion is to KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING INTO....

I know people that scored awesome clean 450's used, and I know people that unknowingly bought a ticking time bomb...

On a side note, I don't understand how someone can pay upwards of $7G for a '07 YZ450F and in an attempt to save pennies per tankfull run crap 87 octane fuel and risk engine damaging detonation ?? Talk about jumping over a dollar to save a dime... :cheers:

i know it needs to be rebuilt and i plan on doing that to, i could be wrong the noise of the bike throws me off. ill clean it all up change the oil and take it to a to my track for a day were i can really tell whats all wrong with it. its hard to tell just riding around in my field.

i plan on giving $2500 for a 2008 yz450f and a non running 2002 yz250f.

Make sure the AC pump is working correctly. I just got an 05 YZ450f it seemed to be low on power at first. The bike sat in my friends shop for five years with no ride time on it. After some tinkering I discovered the the AC pump was not pumping fuel. I fixed it and now it rips.