Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shelbyguy

'02 426 superM build

4 posts in this topic

a couple forum members recommended i throw this up as they have got a hold of parts here and there for me for this build. though shes a dinosaur shes pretty hot in my opinion.

slowly but surely. and never building a complete motor like this....

bought this passed around project that was never really finished "right"

i got it with a broken bullet, no brakes, mix matched hubs spacers, and so -on

though it prolly would have been cheaper to save my $$ and purchase a euro 450 with a plate again this bike is kick only and has some flavor/attitude and in all honesty after the ktm and a couple other bikes i have put together the build is almost as fun as riding them.

so here goes....

DSC00083.jpg

picked it up one night at 0 dark thirty motor, carb, and misc parts in a box.

put the bike in a corner(at jimmy's) kinda to hide it from my lovely girlfriend who told me i really don't need another project.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTUtMjAxMDEyMTgtMTExNy5qcGc.jpg

got bored at work on day and took the head apart to get a list of parts going.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTctMjAxMDEyMTgtMTExOC5qcGc.jpg

list made

utf-8Bbm9tMS5qcGc.jpg

took a look at this and started to get worried....pulled out the pullers and said well, **** it.

motor.jpg

ended pretty well if you asked me. Conn rod bearing was absolutely shot. got the crank sent out to get all trued and a new Conn rod installed.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNjctMjAxMTAyMjEtMTE0OC5qcGc.jpg

crank is back. perfect to say the least.

198489_10150125186242630_554632629_6399851_3052845_n.jpg

valve train showed up. wow. lots of little pieces.

189832_10150114294472630_554632629_6301876_7213667_n.jpg

between the help of grant and Phil (pscook) i was able to locate a clutch basket beings mine had 2 bolt tabs broken off and one about to give.

180736_10150100722242630_554632629_6151558_7498511_n-2.jpg

piston showed up. talk about a piece of art. literally didn't want to put it in the motor...wanted to hang it on the wall. horrible picture but JE makes some damn fine shit.

183018_10150107684057630_554632629_6234159_4119157_n.jpg

one day my buddy Derick came by....we started talking and were like *** got most the parts lets see where we can get to. this was the end result.

another package in the mail- cylinder and piston back from bore/plate

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDMtMjAxMTA0MDEtMjEwNS5qcGc-1.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDQtMjAxMTA0MDEtMjEwNS5qcGc-1.jpg

was told to wash it down really well with soapy water as there was still some garnet in the water jackets from cleaning it up.

while messing around i came across an beringer 4-pot caliper from my last smr project that i actually got 2 of...looked around for a bracket for a wr/radial caliper found a few here and there. little did i know DRZ e and s model brake parts are direct fit. bead-blasted the drz rotor as it was quite rusty and this was the result of yet another days work.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDAtMjAxMTAzMzEtMTkzMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDEtMjAxMTAzMzEtMjAxMy5qcGc.jpg

got off work last-night and figured id at least get the motor to a point where i was waiting for more parts(cylinder head/cams) so i broke out some feeler gauges and file fit the rings, installed piston lubed up the skirt and put the jug one...so here is where that is.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDUtMjAxMTA0MDItMTg1Ni5qcGc.jpg

so. still need to get the motor in so i can work on electrical, and get some baseline info for where to set the 40mm carb so it will run for break-in.

motors in.

carb is in- on-

cooling system in place....

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTQtMjAxMTA0MTAtMTAwMC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTEtMjAxMTA0MTAtMDk1OS5qcGc.jpg

waiting for cams to show to fire it off. then off to dragracers to get a rear wheel spacer set made up....

more to come.