HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ABmotoxer

Who is racing a CRF150R or Expert?

49 posts in this topic

Would like some input from anyone that is racing one of these bikes. Or that has a kid racing one as I do. I would like your input on how you feel they stack up againts the 2t. I don't care about the maintaince costs. So please dont factor this in.

Thanks

well different areas have different rules. i have seen them make the 150's ride with the 125 two strokes and most areas let them ride with the 80's and 85's with the 80's and 85's it is definitely recomended. my little cousin rides one and he wins everything. i know that its supposed to be 90 percent rider and 10% bike but its 50 50 when you step on this bike. that bike makes him win. its pretty unbelievable

Thats what I was hopeing to here. We can run them in the 85 and Supermini here in Canada. And anyone on these bikes are always in the top 5. My boy was a competitor to get in the top 5 but I am hoping this bike will give him the boast.

oh hell yeah. get him the bike. if your kid doesnt win then its his fault. not that thats a bad thing. its just easier to teach a kid(usually) then to be telling your kid that its not his fault his bike isn't good enough.

Oh we have the bike already. He raced a CR85 last year. I just hoping I made the right call.

If run in a real super mini class it's not up to hanging with the 112-114 KX's and KTM's. In 85 class it can be very competitive but requires some transition time coming off a two stroke. We have raced three of them and only one child did not want to go back to a two stroke. However the son who wanted to continue on the 150rb is my fastest child. I do wish the clutch was easier to service on the things though.

Now that all my racers have out grown the mini class mom races the 150RB

If run in a real super mini class it's not up to hanging with the 112-114 KX's and KTM's. In 85 class it can be very competitive but requires some transition time coming off a two stroke. We have raced three of them and only one child did not want to go back to a two stroke. However the son who wanted to continue on the 150rb is my fastest child. I do wish the clutch was easier to service on the things though.

Now that all my racers have out grown the mini class mom races the 150RB

If the bike runs in the 85's, stock 150r will be place easily. Superminis, the 150r will need to be modified to place when 100-105 2t are in the class. I have seen a supermini racer run down a good 125 2t rider on a 150r. The bike was modified to the maxed still being durable.

My son has moved up from the trail bike class to supermini CRF150RB. Supermini class here has mostly 85's in it. 100-105 2t run one higher class. This bike needs to be ridden hard in the top upper rpm range to be competitive.

Yes around here it is the same 95% of the kids run the same bike in both classes. We bought a 105 last year but we are going to sell it and Run the 150R in both.

Just gave my 10 yr old this bike for his BD. Loves it. curently a 65B racer top 3, racing since he was 4. 70lbs soaking wet kid, was hesitant to go with this bike because of the weight but one came along at a great price. Several othe moto dads with championship kids advised against it. I did it anyway. Our local series WSP in NH alows them in the 85 classes and jr mini. Just wtching his first moto last weeknd I could tel the bike had strong potential passing power. A scary step for my son, but I have a hunch were gonna like it. I can already see others at the track looking twice.

just make sure he knows the stalled engine starting drill on it. I see kids giving up after kicking them twenty times after dropping them. Took my crew a few races to get the restart drill down.

My 15 year old Daughter started racing a 150 RB this year in enduro/hare scramble races and is much faster this year than last (Won her last race with large margin ) Great engine with good suspension is the main reason

Just gave my 10 yr old this bike for his BD. Loves it. curently a 65B racer top 3, racing since he was 4. 70lbs soaking wet kid, was hesitant to go with this bike because of the weight but one came along at a great price. Several othe moto dads with championship kids advised against it. I did it anyway. Our local series WSP in NH alows them in the 85 classes and jr mini. Just wtching his first moto last weeknd I could tel the bike had strong potential passing power. A scary step for my son, but I have a hunch were gonna like it. I can already see others at the track looking twice.

My 13yr. son is the same as your's. Get the suspension re-sprung if you haven't yet otherwise the head shake is really bad. The 150r will give up nothing to an 85 even with the extra 30lbs! If your child can ride it, it will place on the podium consistantly.

This past weekend there was 3 150r's on the gate. None was last to the first corner which was far away. One battled the top 3 places in all motto and even practices. That same bike ran the school boy class beating 125's. Outside the bike looked stock.

This is good to hear. My boy only has 4 hours on his so far he likes it but we havent been able to hit the track yet it is to wet. Hope to this weekend as we start racing in 2 weeks. I have rode it a little and it feels stonger then his CR85.

Resprung ofcourse! We are in the Factory Connection Amature rider support program. Putting my rider on that bike without proper suspension setup would be ignorant and dangerous.

The ultimate decision on the CRF150R/B is that Honda has not built one since the 2009 model and it looks like they have no plans to update it any time soon. Sounds like the market has given a rousing thumbs down on it. now we have had two of them and still have a nice 2009 RB that my wife races. However compared to our Kx100's it just not as efficient a package.

Market has not gave thumbs down. When AMA limits the class so does the sales. Natural progression from a KTM 50 is a 65, then 85. When you can't run a 4 stroke in a class it was design for,, well sales will fall. Honda has produced them overseas. Sales were soft and the bike was produced to pay for tooling. Now dealers have inventory for a bike that can only be raced in three classes if your a female instead of the five available. If AMA open the 85 class just like the 125-250 3/4 rule, there would be several 150cc 4t makers. I personaly think AMA has taken too much direction from KTM.

So why is it that they arent aloud in the AMA? There has to be some reason. Do they think there is an advantage if you have a 150 4t?

Well we don't do AMA races on our 150R it is used in xc races and it is legal in the 85 class at most events. Although I have seen it have to run in lites with some groups. Honda fostered this four stroke handicap on us and it is killing MX racing just look at the dwindeling turnouts and tracks that are closing. Folks just can't afford to keep a four stroke going in the days of 4.00+ a gallon gas. just finished pulling maintance on our CRF150RB from last weeks OMA race and I'd like to ask Honda why the heck did they put a cast iron linkage and pull rod on a supposed to be race bike. Every Monday when I pull the linkage and swingarm off our Honda I can't believe how heavy the linkage and pull rod are. It easily ways twice as much as our YZ250's. Would the price have been that much more to use modern material?

AMA only let's the bike run in modded supermini classes. Why?? too much advange over a stock 85?? Who knows but stock for stock it's all rider! A modded 150 will easily pull a stock 85 without larger cc's. If you can port a 2t 85 then why not a re-worked head on a 150 for stock class?? I was told by someone that work with AMA officials that the 85 class needed to watch cost. The 150r would be too expensive for average riders just to be competitive. Same dumb thinking for AMA about changing to 400cc (vs. 450cc) max so new racers can handle the bikes.

Honda didn't "fostered" this, it was Yamaha. Yamaha was the first to bring a 3/4 rule to snowmobiles and push heavily the same in MX. I feel even today let CC's run CC's and we all would benifet from better bikes.

Keep a 4t going?? Sure the first modern HP 4T didn't have the reliable as todays but close tracks from it??! No, track closure comes from lack of spendable money. $10 to enter the park, 20-25 to race and the gas to get there. It all adds up and many with families stopped. Another item that closes a track is noise. 4t sound travels farther than 2t and add in open flow mufflers it only worst.

Honda has a great bike that is being pushed into the offroad racing in HS, GNCC and cross country. Talk is Honda has a CRF150rx (mini CRF250X) waiting to return when the ecomony recovers,,, well now waiting to rebuild the country.