Safely heating a enclosed trailer

When using a combustion heater in an enclosed space make sure you provide venilation. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills people every year. These heaters should not be used if your doing work with combustible materials, gas, solvents, cleaning fluid. Be safe.

see maintenance tips and supercross comments at http:alsdirtbikegear.com

My wife does a lot of cold weather camping. She just stumbled on a 12 volt plug in heated blanket and found out that another friend has been using one and they work really well. The friend uses a car jump start battery thing that has a cig lighter built into it and can get several nights out of it. I plan on getting one for my box van.

The beauty is no CO2 to deal with.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxsa-Comfy-Cruise-12-Volt-Electric-Blanket-Navy-Blue/10756183

Not the best but this jump battery pack will work

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XP500-Jump-Starter/15140203?findingMethod=rr

Death from CO poisoning in small places is very very real.

You can buy backpacking grade sleeping bags (down or synthetic) that will roast you when its 18F......so cold should not be an issue while sleeping if you have the right gear, and this is cheaper than heating the air space around you anyhow.

I would never sleep with a propane burner in action.......U just might never wake up.

For $20 you can get a CO detector that would wake you if you should choose to run a gas heater while sleeping in a very confined space>

BB

• Helpful 1

Death from CO poisoning in small places is very very real.

You can buy backpacking grade sleeping bags (down or synthetic) that will roast you when its 18F......so cold should not be an issue while sleeping if you have the right gear, and this is cheaper than heating the air space around you anyhow.

I would never sleep with a propane burner in action.......U just might never wake up.

For $20 you can get a CO detector that would wake you if you should choose to run a gas heater while sleeping in a very confined space>

BB

I was working on my bike in my neighbor's garage a few weeks ago with a propane heater. It was a dual element heater and all of the doors and windows were closed in the garage. We pulled a co2 sensor into the garage and after 2 hours, it was still reading "0". I don't know what gas it emits but it isn't co2. Unless the gauge was broken. :cheers:

I was working on my bike in my neighbor's garage a few weeks ago with a propane heater. It was a dual element heater and all of the doors and windows were closed in the garage. We pulled a co2 sensor into the garage and after 2 hours, it was still reading "0". I don't know what gas it emits but it isn't co2. Unless the gauge was broken. :cheers:

Carbon monoxide is the evil odorless gas that kills by inhibiting your bloods ability to transport oxygen.

Carbon dioxide is inert.

Usually it takes a messed up burner in combination with small tight confined space to get enough CO to kill.......if you are awake you just get a headache and feel like crap and often figure out whats wrong before you die. If you are sleeping you just never wake up.

With sleeping bags out there that practically roast you alive, I personally would never sleep with a propane burner on - assuming the oxygen sensor on said unit would indeed turn it off when necessary.

BB

Carbon monoxide is the evil odorless gas that kills by inhibiting your bloods ability to transport oxygen.

Carbon dioxide is inert.

Usually it takes a messed up burner in combination with small tight confined space to get enough CO to kill.......if you are awake you just get a headache and feel like crap and often figure out whats wrong before you die. If you are sleeping you just never wake up.

With sleeping bags out there that practically roast you alive, I personally would never sleep with a propane burner on - assuming the oxygen sensor on said unit would indeed turn it off when necessary.

BB

Agreed. A Mr Heater burns pretty complete. So I suspect water vapor and carbon dioxide is the bi-product when its burning good. I have used the single burner Mr Hear in my cabin, in a tent trailer, no brain damage yet. :cheers::busted::ride: I'm careful. In my cabin, I heat it up, shut it off, go to sleep. If I wake up cold, light it, knock the chill off, turn it off, go back to sleep. Common sense is the key.

• Like 1

Be very careful with a heater in an enclosed trialer. We had a fatality at one of the District 37 races last year from a space heater in a trailer. Vent was open and they had used the same heater in the same trailer many times before with no issues. But for some reason, the conditions were different this time. One passed away, the other sent to the hospital and recovered. I've used a space heater in my enclosed trailer in the winter, but I only turn it on for 15 or 20 minutes before I am going to bed so it warms the trailer up, then I turn it off and slip into a low temp rated sleeping bag. Reverse the process in the morning and turn it on 15 minutes before I get up. With a good sleeping bag you don't really need the heat on all night.

i figured out a fool proof way to be warm and safe.... wife found a deal at marriot for forty bucks, i will probably save 40 bucks in gas not taking my trailer.... oh well she was not to keen about camping in 35 degree weather anyways...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got a Wave heater in my trailer, and I'm surprised on how well it works. No gas fume headache in the morning. They are 'low pressure', which I've read are safer than the 'high pressure' setups like Mr Heater. They will rob O2 from the air, so you need to crack a window or two. The instructions tell you how much venting is needed.

Camco Olympian RV Wave BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater

You can find them at Amazon., but they are pricey.

I've got a Wave heater in my trailer, and I'm surprised on how well it works. No gas fume headache in the morning. They are 'low pressure', which I've read are safer than the 'high pressure' setups like Mr Heater. They will rob O2 from the air, so you need to crack a window or two. The instructions tell you how much venting is needed.

Camco Olympian RV Wave BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater

You can find them at Amazon., but they are pricey.

those things rock, but you have to camp alot to make it worthwhile. we dry camp 25-30 nights a year, so we get our use out it.

for the op , if you just want to heat it while you sleep, don't. that's dumb and you will definitely die. maybe. just get a better sleeping bag.

otoh, if you want to heat it while you're changing, and especially when you get up in the morning, a mr heater on top of a 5-gal propane tanks works pretty well. I use one in the shell of my truck for changing before and after wintertime rides (20-40 degrees out), and we often bring it tent camping as well. i can reach out of the sleeping bag and turn it on then lay back down for a couple mins and the tent is roasty toasty.

I'm comfy sleeping down to a bit below freezing with our sleeping bags. When it's really cold, i put on a beanie to hold in extra heat. It's just getting up and getting dressed where the cold is annoying, and the mr heater takes care of that.

simplified, a sun twin style heater heats with 500 watt bulbs just like in the bathroom at a hotel. inside a case that stays cool on the outside. can run all night in side a trailer with no problems or fears of fire or noxious fumes. They do not circulate real fast though so a couple fans to spread the heat really helps.

simplified, a sun twin style heater heats with 500 watt bulbs just like in the bathroom at a hotel. inside a case that stays cool on the outside. can run all night in side a trailer with no problems or fears of fire or noxious fumes. They do not circulate real fast though so a couple fans to spread the heat really helps.

Umm. Well sure, if you're camped next to an electrical outlet, that's a sensible solution. I generally don't camp next to an electrical outlet and the OP specifically stated he will not have electric power.