HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hopper Show

cutting stock bars

10 posts in this topic

do you guys cut your stock bars, or just replace em? this '05 i just picked up still has the stock renthal bars, which are in perfect shape. they just seem soo wide to me. end to end with acerbis hand guards measures 33". so about what? 31" on the stock bars? i am considering hacking up to an inch off each side. is there an easy way to test this before i cut the end off? can i move everything in an inch and go for a ride and see how it feels? or am i going to run into issues with the throttle tube doing that? will the handguards still fit if i cut them?

:thumbsup:

the throttle on my bike has a closed end so it wouldnt be possible. just cut them and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

I needed to cut the end off of the throttle tube for the hand guards to fit, so doing that first and testing width should be fine.

I cut about 3/4" off each end of my stock bars with a hack saw. I originally tried a pipe cutter (plumbing type for copper water lines) and that was going to take forever. Even with a good hack saw, it was more effort than I anticipated.

I'd go 1/4" each side first, and then smooth out the area which was cut, inside and outside the bar.

would a "woods" bend bar suit me better? how is the bend compared to stock? i feel like they need to be taller/narrower/and pushed forward just a bit though i am sure i can rotate the stock ones forward to accomplish that part.

I got a pair of tusk handlebar risers from ebay for about $20 and love them. You could try that for a small investment. I also used a big tubing cutter to cut 3/4" off of each bar end. My Acerbis handguards are pretty crowded, though.

Becareful not to cut too much off the ends of the bars.

Move your perches in as far as they go first. If you go too far the perches will have to be mounted on the bends of the bars.

If you need them narrow, you can mount mini bars