SpudRider

XR650L: Protect Your Countershaft Splines with an XR650R Sprocket

615 posts in this topic

The XR650R sprocket goes onto the XR650L backwards, raised-face towards the engine, flat-side out towards your boot.

Dave

X2. :cheers: You can see the proper installation by checking the photographs on page one of this thread. :thumbsup:

Spud :thumbsup:

You could hit the sprocket splines with a dremel and chamfer them just a tiny bit more, if that's the part that is hanging up.

Dave

thanks Dave, i think i will give that a try. how many mile should i expect out of this sprocket? the XRR sprocket is off center from the rear sprocket so will there be some uneven wear on the sprockets or chain?

It will last the same as a regular XRL sprocket, I'd expect.

Enough folks have run the XRR sprocket long enough to show the offset adds no extra wear.

Dave

I've been searching this issue, here and around, and have read that some years (older) XRR sprockets aren't compatible with some newer XRL's.

Someone on another thread (possibly another forum) posted a part number, so I Googled it and found the following deal on XRR sprockets.....

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-23801-MN1-680.html?gclid=CPDu-ZiNtqgCFSRe7AoddWKDFQ

But I notice it seems to say these units are compatible with XRR models through the 1990's up till 2000. Are these compatible with my '06 XRL ?

Also, what exactly ( other than the CS spline protection) will I gain or lose (performance wise) by having a 14T instead of a 15T sprocket?

Also,can I run the 110 chain with the 14/45 sprocket set-up, without dropping links ?

I've been searching this issue, here and around, and have read that some years (older) XRR sprockets aren't compatible with some newer XRL's.

Someone on another thread (possibly another forum) posted a part number, so I Googled it and found the following deal on XRR sprockets.....

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-23801-MN1-680.html?gclid=CPDu-ZiNtqgCFSRe7AoddWKDFQ

But I notice it seems to say these units are compatible with XRR models through the 1990's up till 2000. Are these compatible with my '06 XRL ?

Also, what exactly ( other than the CS spline protection) will I gain or lose (performance wise) by having a 14T instead of a 15T sprocket?

Also,can I run the 110 chain with the 14/45 sprocket set-up, without dropping links ?

You do realize that we are talking about putting an XR650R sprocket on the XR650L right???????????

There are 2 different XRR`s...........the XR600R and the XR650R........

The late model XR600R sprocket is the same thickness as the XRL sprocket,gaining nothing,,,,,,,,,the XR650R sprocket is wider at the splines..

B

14t is going to drop the overall gearing of the bike quite noticably. 15t - 14t is the same as going 3t UP on the rear sprocket. More torque(Balls) down low for putting and hill climbing. Less top speed overall and less mph in each gear.

Lots of guys (me too) run 14t for dirt and 15t for street use. Perfect IMO.

If you have enough adjustment room on the rear axle adjusters to move them back to take up the slack, no problem

If the adjuster is already at the back of the adjustment, then you need a new chain or a link out.

You do realize that we are talking about putting an XR650R sprocket on the XR650L right???????????

B

Thanks,Brian, I did have my wires crossed there.

And thanks again MindBlower, that answered my question perfectly. I also just found out that other after-market 650R sprockets come in 15T, which is where I'd like to stay.

I've been rooting around over at RockyMountain,getting ready to place an order, so this was all highly useful.

Thanks again guys.......

Thanks,Brian, I did have my wires crossed there.

And thanks again MindBlower, that answered my question perfectly. I also just found out that other after-market 650R sprockets come in 15T, which is where I'd like to stay.

I've been rooting around over at RockyMountain,getting ready to place an order, so this was all highly useful.

Thanks again guys.......

I just got a 15t XR650R MOOSE RACING sprocket from The Motorcycle Superstore.......you can likely get it here at the TT part store too....:thumbsup:

I like the 14 for most riding..15 is better on the highway..

B

I just got a 15t XR650R MOOSE RACING sprocket from The Motorcycle Superstore.......you can likely get it here at the TT part store too....:thumbsup:

I like the 14 for most riding..15 is better on the highway..

B

I recently bought a 13T, XR650R, Moose Racing sprocket, and it appears to be manufactured by PBI. I wonder if PBI manufactured your 15T, XR650R, Moose Racing sprocket, Brian?

Spud :confused:

I recently bought a 13T, XR650R, Moose Racing sprocket, and it appears to be manufactured by PBI. I wonder if PBI manufactured your 15T, XR650R, Moose Racing sprocket, Brian?

Spud :thumbsup:

No idea,,,,,want a pic???????????

B

No idea,,,,,want a pic???????????

B

Thank you, Brian. :thumbsup: If you have time, a photo would be nice. However, you can probably tell if your Moose Racing sprocket was manufactured by PBI if you compare your sprocket to the photos of the PBI sprocket I posted on page one of this thread. :worthy: The PBI sprockets are silver, and exhibit characteristic tooling marks, and lettering, as shown with the sprocket I photographed. :busted:

Edited by SpudRider

thats good to see that its working out. i put a renthal 15t XRR sprocket on a week ago in everything seems to be well. i had an issue the fitment, it was to wide, and i couldn't get the retaining clip on so i did as Dave suggest and used a grinding stone on a drill and that worked nicely. i actually used a uni bit (stepped drill bit) initially then smoothed it over with the other one. this sprocket is great, there isn't any side to side play or slop like the XRL piece.

GREAT THREAD!

thats good to see that its working out. i put a renthal 15t XRR sprocket on a week ago in everything seems to be well. i had an issue the fitment, it was to wide, and i couldn't get the retaining clip on so i did as Dave suggest and used a grinding stone on a drill and that worked nicely. i actually used a uni bit (stepped drill bit) initially then smoothed it over with the other one. this sprocket is great, there isn't any side to side play or slop like the XRL piece.

GREAT THREAD!

Thank you. :thumbsup: Indeed, the XR650R sprocket is very beefy, and makes the XRL sprocket look puny by comparison. :busted: The XRR sprocket prevents a sloppy fit because it has 60 percent more contact area with the countershaft splines. :confused:

jtf1307jpg.jpgjtf1309jpg.jpg

Spud :worthy:

Thank you, Brian. :thumbsup: If you have time, a photo would be nice. However, you can probably tell if your Moose Racing sprocket was manufactured by PBI if you compare your sprocket to the photos of the PBI sprocket I posted on page one of this thread. :worthy: The PBI sprockets are silver, and exhibit characteristic tooling marks, and lettering, as shown with the sprocket I photographed. :busted:

Looks the same to me........

B

Looks the same to me........

B

Thank you for confirming my theory, Brian. :thumbsup: Since PBI is making the 13T, XR650R sprocket for Moose Racing, it stands to reason PBI is making all the XR650R sprockets for Moose Racing. :busted:

According to another report, and my own personal experience, in order to install the retaining plate, the PBI/Moose Racing, XRR sprockets need to be lightly tapped onto the XRL countershaft with a hammer. :smirk: However, after the first installation, these sprockets are subsequently very easy to install, and remove, by hand. :confused:

Thank you for confirming my theory, Brian. :thumbsup: Since PBI is making the 13T, XR650R sprocket for Moose Racing, it stands to reason PBI is making all the XR650R sprockets for Moose Racing. :busted:

According to another report, and my own personal experience, in order to install the retaining plate, the PBI/Moose Racing, XRR sprockets need to be lightly tapped onto the XRL countershaft with a hammer. :smirk: However, after the first installation, these sprockets are subsequently very easy to install, and remove, by hand. :confused:

I figured it was.........looks like someone chewed the teeth into it with a dull hacksaw,in their backyard while on a 2 week drunk:smirk:

B

I figured it was.........looks like someone chewed the teeth into it with a dull hacksaw,in their backyard while on a 2 week drunk:smirk:

B

:thumbsup:

The PBI sprockets definitely have a distinctive appearance. :busted: Nevertheless, the PBI, XRR sprocket currently installed on my XR650L is holding up very well so far. :confused: I employ PBI sprockets on my 200cc trail bike, and they also serve well in that application.

Besides Moose Racing, XRs Only has also chosen to sell the PBI sprockets for the XR650R. :smirk:

http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-parts-1/honda-dirt-bike-parts/honda-xr-models/honda-xr650r/pbi-front-countershaft-spocket-honda-xr650r

I tried to install an OEM XR650R 14T sprocket on my 650L today with no luck. I tapped it on lightly but did not have enough room for the retainer.

Tap harder or use the belt grinder as others suggest?

I tried to install an OEM XR650R 14T sprocket on my 650L today with no luck. I tapped it on lightly but did not have enough room for the retainer.

Tap harder or use the belt grinder as others suggest?

Perhaps others will disagree with me. :worthy: However, when I encountered this problem, I just kept rotating, and tapping the XRR sprocket until the retaining plate fit over it. :busted: After riding 1,200 miles, I removed, and inspected my XRR sprocket when I changed my rear tire. At that time I easily removed, and reinstalled the XRR sprocket by hand. :thumbsup:

Therefore, I recommend you rotate the sprocket, and tap harder. It will be obvious you are making progress if the slot for the retaining plate widens. If you stop making progress, or you need to tap too hard, you can always tap the sprocket back off the countershaft, and head for the belt grinder. :smirk: