HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

brogers93

NorthCarolina
Riding near Fort Bragg, NC

60 posts in this topic

In a nutshell, I just recently got back into riding after a LONG break. I've also got my two boys, 9 and 6, riding with 70cc and 50cc bikes. I've been down to Outback ATV and Cape Fear parks. Problem is that they are around an hour and a half from where I live between Spring Lake and Sanford. As much land as there is around here, you'd think there would be more places to ride, either officially or "unofficially." Looking for any type of trails or just some wide open land to practice on. Not really looking for MX tracks.

Anyone in this area know of anything close by? I'd by happy to pay some landowners for use of their land!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BR

hey brogers,

There's Firelane MX not to far from you, it's half way between spring lake and sanford, no trails.

There's Wide open MX in reaford, not trails, and Racers Retreat in Hope Mills.

Racers Retreat has a little bit of trails, not bad for kids.

There may be a couple more, but I think there's some nearer the coast...

good luck

Thanks Glebo.

MX is not really my thing. The trails at Outback and Cape Fear were great. Just wish there was something like that closer to me. Of course, the trails that run on the north side of Fort Bragg along 87 are really tempting me...

When I first got to bragg in '80 we ALWAYS rode the trails on and off post. Before that nasty woodpecker came along and put almost everything off limits.

There actually were a few good hare scramble events held around TX pond in the day. Had like a 25 mile loop, it was pretty good.

I'm sure you could "sneak" on in among the trails. My neighbor and another were riding up around there, but got caught, got threatened by the MP's to actuall have their bikes impounded, I don't know if they could actually do that or not...

It's a damn shame they don't allow it anymore. So much land just sitting there and it would give folks something to do on weekends instead of getting into trouble.

Well, I may have to try the trails...on google earth it looks like they run pretty far to the north so maybe I could outrun the MPs if I had to!

I just finished a barracks project at Bragg about three weeks ago. I used to take the Longstreet gate out the "back door" of the base and take Manchester to Morrison Bridge. It's funny how you can spot trail and just picture yourself shifting gears.

I once asked an MP about riding some of the trails I had seen and he basically laughed at me. I could never find enough time after work to find a local track/trail.

I did hear of some trails behind a 4x4 shop off of Reilly Road (off base of course).

Busco Beach.

Goldsboro NC, near the AF base. Great place to ride. A bit more ATV related, but the trails are there for everyone. Has a few MX tracks to go with the trails. I know you said that isn't your thing...but they are there.

Check it out online:

http://www.buscobeach.com/

Thanks for the info guys. It's funny how any time I'm driving somewhere my head is on a swivel looking for potential places to ride. Didn't realize how good I had it as a kid when all I had to do was cross the street in front of my house and ride the woods/sand & gravel pits for miles and miles. Well, I'm planning on heading down to Outback or Cape Fear on Friday afternoon with the boys. Spring vacation is coming up so we're planning on hitting Busco and/or Carolina Adventure World.

I did find a potential spot off 87 behind the Food Lion across from Linden Oaks. Quite a few trails back there and I drove them with my truck. Didn't see any "no trespassing" signs or anything and there were some tire tracks from ATVs and dirt bikes...

I just finished a barracks project at Bragg about three weeks ago. I used to take the Longstreet gate out the "back door" of the base and take Manchester to Morrison Bridge. It's funny how you can spot trail and just picture yourself shifting gears.

I once asked an MP about riding some of the trails I had seen and he basically laughed at me. I could never find enough time after work to find a local track/trail.

I did hear of some trails behind a 4x4 shop off of Reilly Road (off base of course).

Yeah, some of those end up behind the ASP.

Back in the day...I lived off rielly rd in Loch Lommond. I could ride my CR480 from there, all the way to TX pond on the trails.

Doubt ya could do that these days, with all the construction and other stuff going on.

Oh the days.

brogers, i know a couple folks who've rode up around the food lion area, you can poke around and go for awhile.

Only thing with busco is...it can get a bit "crazy" at times, (mostly on weekends) folks get liquored up and hit the trails on their 4 wheelers, some, if not all, most of the trails are two way....can get "interesting".

Just be on your toes while your there.

Guys,

Any of you still around and looking for some trails? I live near Cameron, just off route 24/27 and have some trails near my house. Not a whole lot but you can squeeze 20 miles or so out of them, if you know where to go. What were the trails like behind the FoodLion.

Edited by ur2silly
spelling

I would not recommend busco, it's a free for all and 2 way trails, and they are smooth/slick

ur2silly hit me up anytime, I live just up the road from you near Olivia

we rode outback again today, had ~10 bikes in the group

Guys,

Any of you still around and looking for some trails? I live near Cameron, just off route 24/27 and have some trails near my house. Not a whole lot but you can squeeze 20 miles or so out of them, if you know where to go. What were the trails like behind the FoodLion.

Im always looking! I live in Goldsboro/Kenly area but my girlfriend lives in Fayetteville. She works near the Food Lion off 87. Ive seen the trails there but never tried them out. I have Mondays off so I'm thinking I might take a ride and check them out tomorrow. I'll let you know what I see there.

On another note I met some guys online from Camp Legeune and rode all over that base a few months ago. It was a blast. Suprised they dont do the same for Ft. Bragg.

I would not recommend busco, it's a free for all and 2 way trails, and they are smooth/slick

ur2silly hit me up anytime, I live just up the road from you near Olivia

we rode outback again today, had ~10 bikes in the group

+1 on Busco..... I ride there a lot but only on Mondays when its nice and quiet. It can be fun on weekdays but I get tired of riding the same ole trails:banghead:

Yeah, I'd like to know what's back there. I drive by almost every day but never made an opportunity to go check it out. I too get tired of the same 'ol trails.

Well I went for a ride down to the trails behind the Food Lion today. 73 miles from my driveway to the trail entrance and then a total of 37 miles on the trails. :bonk: About 200 yards in you come to a mud hole thats about 2 feet deep but if you stay to the left you can chug right through. Very fast trails and I kept telling myself to slow it down because I was by myself. I saw lots of tracks from trucks, quads, and bikes but suprisingly its not all rutted out and it made for some good riding. A few water crossings and a little bit of mud. There was a ton of trails I didnt get to explore so I need to do some research with google earth and google maps.

Im going to name this area Bufallo Lakes seeing as how the trails run along the the dam section of the lakes on this map.

BuffaloLakes013.jpg

A few of the trails come a little close to some backyards so I tried to keep it quiet in those areas. Never did see any No Trespassing signs :busted: If you look at the map you will see Tingen Rd. just north of the lakes. I'm pretty sure I made it to the end of that road. At the end of that road it turns in a non state maintained road and eventually the trails. I will definitly be going back to do some more exploring. My pictures dont do these trails any justice at all :busted:

BuffaloLakes002.jpg

BuffaloLakes003.jpg

BuffaloLakes008.jpg

jtiv19,

I wanna go with you next time. I usually have to work weekdays but I am off next Monday, Nov 14th. Your off Mondays, right? My bike don't have plates so I would have to bring it over there on the truck but I only live about 5 miles away. I guess I could park in the Foodlion lot. PM me and we can work out the details if your interested. I heard those trails were there but I had no idea. I can also show you the areas near my house.

Edited by ur2silly

I've never been that far in, do you have gps coordinates for that water crossing?

Sorry I dont have a GPS. Its definitly something I need to get. Ive been looking at the area on Google Earth and Maps and its really hard to tell where I was back there.

jtiv19,

I wanna go with you next time. I usually have to work weekdays but I am off next Monday, Nov 14th. Your off Mondays, right? My bike don't have plates so I would have to bring it over there on the truck but I only live about 5 miles away. I guess I could park in the Foodlion lot. PM me and we can work out the details if your interested. I heard those trails were there but I had no idea. I can also show you the areas near my house.

PM sent