HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny_W

CRF 450 @ Glen Helen

14 posts in this topic

According to Motor Cycle Daily.com Ryan Hughes is going to race the CRF 450 at the White Bros 4 stroke race this weekend at Glen Helen. I am stoked on my 426, but Honda might have Yamaha running on this one!

Ryno smoked em @ Glen Helen on the CRF 450 this weekend. You should have seen him throwing that bike sideways. Looks super light and Super Fast. He made quick work of Dubach on the 426!

Sounds great for Honda. Keep in mind though that the bike that Hughes is riding will probably bear little resemblence (inside) to what Honda will be offering the masses! You know also that Dubach's 426 is far from a factory Yamaha. It's not even close to the bike that Ferry rides and the Euro big bore Yamaha's. I understand that he even pulled a holeshot in the second moto. Also, keep in mind how much younger and faster Hughes is compared to Dubach. Dubach may be the fastest old guy around, but...

------------------

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

Dad, I have some inside scoop for you. I overheard a Honda guy tell someone that Hughes' bike has a stock frame and motor, with the exception of slightly higher compression and a ported head. I agree with everything else you said. I wasn't totally blown away by the bike. Hughes made it look good. Yamaha could have brought out Ferry to steal Honda's limelight. If he was in the race, the outcome may have been different.

Okay, I'll retract what I said about the bike. I've never doubted that Honda would put out something competitive. I do believe that the results of this race are MOSTLY due to Ryan Hughes. I think he's been one of the most under rated riders for years. Even when he makes great rides in the MXDN you really don't hear enough said about the guy.

The fact that Honda had him ride this bike in preparation for the Nationals should say something also.

I rode with Hughs at Comp park a few weeks back on one of those rainy weekends where the track was sloppy. He was on his 250 and was making the track look as though it was dry. Still clearing the triple and everything when I was having a hard time getting traction on my 400 out of corners just to clear some of the larger doubles. I've heard he's got a big head on him but he's definately fast!! I'm planning on going up for the national on Mother's day. Hopefully the bike will be there again.

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

The CR450 didn't look any faster than a YZ426 out there. On the big hill Ryan wasn't pulling anything. It does look light though.

The factory 400(Henry's&Button's) and 426 (Ferry's) was/is very light also compared to ours. We'll see if Honda delivers that weight savings to the public!

------------------

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

Dubach holeshotted both motos. Rhyno was flying. He had some wicked gas in his bike. You could smell it 20 yards from his truck. It didn't sound like the bike had very much enginge braking. Trick clutch? After the race his mechanic couldn't restart the bike and had to push it back to the truck. I think the mechanics and support crew were all drinking the "gas" after the race to celebrate. Dubach was way ahead of Spud Walters. Nathen Ramesey raced but was about 6,7,8th? He didn't look as impressive as he does in a Supercross. Great event. Great venue,impressive track. It really showed off the powerful bikes.Hats off to White Brothers.

It's great that Honda is doing well with their bike, it can only mean that Yamaha will do more of their own homework I'm sure. Better bikes for everyone! :) I am very curious to see how close the production Honda will be to what Hughes was riding. Does anyone recall how close the pre-production Yamaha Doug Henry rode was to what Yamaha put into production the first year?

I read that Nathan Ramsey was riding a YZ250F which I'm sure is part of the reason he wasn't near the front of the pack. Also the 400 that Henry rode weighed in at under 225 lbs and was converted over to a dry sump motor. I'm sure, like dirtdad said, the product the public recieves from Honda will weigh more, have less horsepower and have mortal Honda suspension, unlike Hughes bike. Glad to see Honda finally ante up, it'll make Yamaha and the rest of em' step it up another notch and give us a better bike selection to choose from.

Pat