HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elroyona426

Pipe questions

12 posts in this topic

Who makes a good exhaust system (header and silencer)for low to mid power without losing top end? I've looked at and read about a ton of them but every mag seems to say different things. Seems no one can agree on this topic.

------------------

I serve up dirt cakes with my 426

I slipped a Power Core IV silencer on my stock header, and the low to mid hit is wonderful. I lost some of the high rpm power, but I don't get that high in the rpm range anyway. I always run a gear high.

Makes short runs to jumps very unfair against the two smokes. I can literally put up to the face of things, and just.... BRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!! Right over everything. Is a bit louder though.

Ditto on the White Brother's carbon fiber silencer/ti header combo. With careful jetting and using the proper race gas, the 426 really wakes up on the low end.

What White Bros carbon Fiber is that the pro-meg with the carbon can or the totally carbon fiber silencer?? do you have to run the race gas for that setup?? thanks for the feedback guys, I want to really do my homework before I go blow 400+ on something that might not give me waht I'm looking for.

Mine is the "E" series carbon fiber silencer with no discs. It actually comes with the end cap riveted on. You certainly don't have to run race gas but, to get the most out of this machine, the proper race gas AND careful jetting AND carburetor setup will yield the most performance. I've been using VP C-12 for some time now but want to try the Sunoco Maximal which is formulated for 10,000+ RPM applications. Pump gas is made for the "average" sedan which typically has a redline of about 6000 RPM. Also, pump gas is notoriously inconsistent in quality. In the end, it's really up to you to decide if the added expense is cost effective.

Try the aluminum Pro-Meg with no discs, I have one on my '00. Lots more bottom and mid and it still pulls hard on top but you just don't need it with the grunt.

It is VERY LOUD!

Much less $$ and more durable than the carbon but not nearly as trick.

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot (edited 04-22-2001).]

I also run an FMF Power Core IV on a stock header on a 00 YZ 426F. I can't complain one bit! It gives more low but does rob a small amount of top, not a very noticeable amount though. It makes the bottom stronger and easier to pull a high gear and rip it up!

FMF has an updated power core IV S/A that will be available next week. It is designated the "Q" (for quiet). It's supposed to have the same characteristics as the original (better bottom/mid, slight loss on top) but much quieter. For those looking for a spark arrestor and less noise, this may be just the ticket.

------------------

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat(gone but not forgotten!)

One of the guys that I ride with just put an entire big gun system on his 426, and he says that mine is still faster, and all I have is the Power Core IV can w/ the stock header. Man is he pissed off!!!!! Spent almost 600 on the whole thing.

One of the guys that I ride with just put an entire big gun system on his 426, and he says that mine is still faster, and all I have is the Power Core IV can w/ the stock header. Man is he pissed off!!!!! Spent almost 600 on the whole thing.

------------------

Mr. Wizard says: "Go BIG, or go home!"