Beater/Project WR450f

Ya I usually head to where the action is! :bonk: Swell: YES! $200 in fuel to get there and back? Yes, but let me find a co-pilot or two to split fuel costs LOL!

We need to hit the color trails and 5MOH in the swell. I have some unfinished business on that one... It won the battle but I plan to win the war! :lol: LOL Anyway hopefully we can get an RME ride together this year. I'm bummed out I missed the last one :thumbsup:

No worries, we'll get together eventually! I really would like to head up your way once it gets hot, it would be nice to cool down with some Northern UT single track.

At first glance I didn't think that thing was going to make it. Now it looks great:thumbsup:

It's amazing what I little elbow grease can do! And some money doesn't hurt... :ride:

You gonna check the valves when you go after the valve cover gasket?

Yep, that's the plan!

looks good man! nothing like a good restoration

Thanks Chris!

Wow you have done a great job! Keep it up that wr deserves better than it was treated.

Wow you have done a great job! Keep it up that wr deserves better than it was treated.

Thanks! I agree with you, the WR is a great bike... no need for one to be beaten and neglected! :thumbsup: The progress is really moving along now, here's an update from the last couple days.

I've been waiting on the parts fairy and she showed up the other day, while I was at work! I came home to a large pile of boxes and a new rear tire. Time for some real work!

1227588688_32ZhG-M.jpg

1227588854_RhoDA-M.jpg

1227597471_CxWNG-M.jpg

I cleaned out the air box and installed the new Twin Air filter-

1227597679_UT2t6-L.jpg

Polisport headlight and fairing.-

1227597570_NBmw9-M.jpg

New grips and some Misfits grip donuts-

1227597621_QLvBd-L.jpg

New sprockets and chain, and rear wheel with new Maxxis IT desert tire.

1227597733_E9Rpt-L.jpg

1227586062_DZvUa-M.jpg

Rear fender with LED tail light and plate mount.-

1227586181_drk59-M.jpg

I decided to thread the ProTaper EVO bars for a pair of killer Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards... working on ordering the hand guards now. I have a pair of them on my DR650 and they're hands down the best hand guard option out there!

1227586225_VYny5-M.jpg

1227586300_ukpoF-M.jpg

Went ahead and replaced the valve cover gasket and checked the valves... they're within spec!

1227586127_J8TXA-L.jpg

New seat cover, I want to add some foam and then I'll put the new cover on.-

1227586446_gmerU-M.jpg

The previous, PREVIOUS owner has a piece of Scotchbrite over the air box holes, I liked the idea so I got a new one, trimmed it to fit, then placed it under some washers.-

1227586510_dddn7-M.jpg

I took a wire wheel to the Flatlands racing skidplate, pounded out some dents and cleaned it up. -

1227586666_rv5Mq-M.jpg

Took a few pics of it a it now sits... much better!!!

1227586555_DgWE4-M.jpg

1227586606_EuCRu-M.jpg

I'm still waiting on some other parts, including the Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank. Hopefully I will have another update in the next few days, with a pretty much finished bike!

Dude, your bike is looking pretty sick. Getting rid of the stock rear fender and the stock headlight were huge looks improvements. That thing is coming along nicely. You still looking good to stay under 2000?

Dude, your bike is looking pretty sick. Getting rid of the stock rear fender and the stock headlight were huge looks improvements. That thing is coming along nicely. You still looking good to stay under 2000?

Thanks Mikey, a little work and a bunch of new part and it's a different bike! I'm very happy with how its coming together.

I haven't added up all the part yet, but I'm HOPING I can keep the grand total under $1400. :thumbsup:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in terms of usability the stock wr headlight is way better than the polisport, I had one on my bike for about 2 months and took it off.

Sweet..... I had a similar opportunity. However the bike wasn't THAT bad. Yours was pretty fugly.

The one I got looked like it was crashed and put in the garage. Scared the guy I think.

...but I didn't like the scratched plastic and components to I replaced most everything that had blemishes on it. It was running poorly, but carb clean out and jet replacement solved that. R/R'd everythingI found deals on (All the under guards, bars, CF components here and there, Acerbis disc and hand guards).

I rode her once. She's scary fast. I'd like to keep it, she's so fine, but I can't get around to riding everything in the garage.

One suggestion is the use of Duplicolor's undercoating on some of the worn components (Pegs, kick stand, case guards). It puts a nice black mottled, durable finish on them. Take them off to do it "right".

Similar result: WR450R_Front.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in terms of usability the stock wr headlight is way better than the polisport, I had one on my bike for about 2 months and took it off.

No worries, I'm not sure how often I'll be riding this thing in the dark. Plus, with some rigging, I swapped the bulb that was in the Polisport headlight for the WR bulb (H4, IIRC) and it's very bright. I haven't had a chance to see what the pattern looks like, but I think for my intended purpose, it will work. If you'd like to expound on why you didn't like the Polisport light, I'm all ears.

Sweet..... I had a similar opportunity. However the bike wasn't THAT bad. Yours was pretty fugly.

The one I got looked like it was crashed and put in the garage. Scared the guy I think.

...but I didn't like the scratched plastic and components to I replaced most everything that had blemishes on it. It was running poorly, but carb clean out and jet replacement solved that. R/R'd everythingI found deals on (All the under guards, bars, CF components here and there, Acerbis disc and hand guards).

I rode her once. She's scary fast. I'd like to keep it, she's so fine, but I can't get around to riding everything in the garage.

One suggestion is the use of Duplicolor's undercoating on some of the worn components (Pegs, kick stand, case guards). It puts a nice black mottled, durable finish on them. Take them off to do it "right".

Similar result: WR450R_Front.jpg

Looks great! I'll keep the Duplicolor idea in mind, I would love to repaint the parts of the frame that have worn down to the metal too, then add come covers. The Duplicolor idea would finish it off perfectly.

Looks great! I'll keep the Duplicolor idea in mind, I would love to repaint the parts of the frame that have worn down to the metal too, then add come covers. The Duplicolor idea would finish it off perfectly.

Another thing to try is Rustoloem Bedliner spray. It would look and work great for the frame area right above the pegs. It has a textured look and would look like grip tape on the frame.

No worries, I'm not sure how often I'll be riding this thing in the dark. Plus, with some rigging, I swapped the bulb that was in the Polisport headlight for the WR bulb (H4, IIRC) and it's very bright. I haven't had a chance to see what the pattern looks like, but I think for my intended purpose, it will work. If you'd like to expound on why you didn't like the Polisport light, I'm all ears.

I'm simply fairly convinced that you can not aim it low enough no matter what you did, I tried everything, to no avail

Another thing to try is Rustoloem Bedliner spray. It would look and work great for the frame area right above the pegs. It has a textured look and would look like grip tape on the frame.

I'll look into it, thanks!

I'm simply fairly convinced that you can not aim it low enough no matter what you did, I tried everything, to no avail

Gotcha, that makes sense... thank for the info. I'll see what I can do, I think I can make it work for me.

So you guys ready for this? I'm blown away with how great this beater now looks! Hopefully it runs and rides just as good.

My Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank arrived today, I bought it from a guy that purchased it new, pulled it out of the packing and decided he liked the smaller, stock tank. The price was right, well under retail for the same thing. I bolted up the fairings and decided I really liked the Acerbis tank! I just hope that the tank gets me close to being able to ride the 150 miles of the Kokopelli trail without extra gas. Probably not, seems the WR's don't get the best fuel mileage.

1229531759_iAsKm-L.jpg

I wanted a more comfy seat, I'd like to be able to spend long days in the saddle and the stock seat left a lot to be desired. Hopefully my quick fix will be a valuable change, I HATED the seat on my old WR250F and WR400F. The seat on this WR450 was just like those other 2 bikes... thin foam. I have never done this before, but was excited to give it a go.

I headed to the upholstery store and picked up some 1" thick dual density seat foam for $15 and foam glue at $5, then hit up Harbor Freight for a $15 electric staple gun, then WalMart for a $10 Black & Decker electric meat carver. Let the fun begin!

1229531804_rsPoB-M.jpg

1229531833_Fo5No-M.jpg

1229531873_2a5y8-M.jpg

1229531901_jvPrj-M.jpg

And the trimming and shaving began! My goal was to leave the front of the seat narrow and add a little width to the middle and rear. I used the meat trimmer to get the general shape I wanted, then used the grinder with a used flapper disc to shape and smooth.

1229531991_nL7gg-M.jpg

1229532087_beeNb-M.jpg

1229532555_4kwMd-M.jpg

1229532186_m6xyN-M.jpg

1229532279_dPFNC-M.jpg

1229532624_mX5aG-M.jpg

Test fitting the seat and cover. -

1229532511_rF3S5-M.jpg

At this point the stapling began... I bought some 1/4" staples, as I thought that smaller would be better. I didn't take any pics of the process... just the final product. :thumbsup:

1229532745_qo4dG-M.jpg

1229532896_uDaWj-L.jpg

1229532666_9ZAdU-M.jpg

And the final product! I'm still waiting the Highway Dirt Bike hand guards that I ordered only yesterday, and have some minor things that I will button up tonight, but it looks like the bike is ready to ride!!

1229532940_hPQM7-M.jpg

1229532973_5qtLA-M.jpg

And a before photo, just for comparison. -

1217476383_hxMKk-M.jpg

nice job... looks like alot of work..

nice job... looks like alot of work..

Yes, it was a lot of work. I really went out of my way to clean up and fix the stuff I could, rather than replacing it. Obviously the plastics needed to go, but the new plastics really made the bike. I put in a lot of time cleaning, scrubbing and grinding... in the end, all the hand work paid off.

At this point, I probably have over 4 full days of labor into this thing! I'm happy though, working on projects like this keep me busy and out of trouble and it's fun to learn what you're capable of. I learned quite a bit, so that in itself is invaluable!

Wow! Amazing transformation. Well done, well planned, and well thought out. When you find out how the seat works out, post up...If it works well, I just may have to copy-cat!

So when does it go on craigslist for 3000? Ha ha ha Just kidding. Nice job dude, I would proudly ride that bike.

so.......is the seat more comfortable?

I love 04's....and yours is looking SWEET!

That was an awesome JOB MAD PROPS to you!!!!! You'll have to let us know about the new seat!!!

Looks great! You need to show it to the guy you bought it from. :thumbsup:

That's awesome, and a serious improvement from what you started with.

I'm getting ready to do a serious cosmetic rebuild on my 04 as well, new plastics, decal's, etc.....

I'll take before and after pics, and hope it comes out as good as yours...lol

a few years ago I restored a kx250.. that was satisfying.. good job mate, that bike looks awesome!