HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpastrana

I have to store the YZ for 2 years!

34 posts in this topic

Well hello tt members I've been reading on the storage threads, but most of it is just mostly winterization, anyone have suggestions here's what I've come up with.

Drain fuel

Store at tdc to take pressure off of valves/springs/no air/rust

Exhaust plug

Change oil, Filter

Clean Air Filter, put/tape plastic bag over filter, seal off airbox from critters.

Wash it.

Put it on stand

Cover it.

Anything else that you would suggest or not suggest!

Thanks!

Sell it and don't even think twice about it. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

Edited by swaldrop

Sell it and don't even think twice about. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

I agree. sell it. put the money in an account, you'll save on shipping and can buy another when you get out without the hassle of worrying about your bike.

Sell it and don't even think twice about. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

smart!

I have way to much money invested in this bike, lots of mods, and cant get a decent price in this economy to justify selling so I'm keeping it. Buying new is a waste of a good chunk of mula, buying a older new model still on the floor is the only way to go.

Sell it and don't even think twice about it. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

All of the trouble? Do you ever work on your bike or do you take it to the dealer haha? Do you really think that list is a difficult task?

I'll be glad to store it in my garage for you, you know, to keep it from getting lonely and all, and let it out for some occasional exercise...:thumbsup:

Your list sounds good, but you should also fog the $h*t out of it. Spray it with the fogging spray till the engine bogs out.

I have way to much money invested in this bike, lots of mods, and cant get a decent price in this economy to justify selling so I'm keeping it. Buying new is a waste of a good chunk of mula, buying a older new model still on the floor is the only way to go.

Your storage list is pretty comprehensive. I personally prefer "wet" storage over dry as this new Ethanol fuel leaves behind a corrosive fungal residue on the surface of fuel system carb components. The other issue that I can tell you from experience that could possible be more problematic than the fuel is RODENTS ! Mice and chipmunks will wreak havoc if the little bastards can gain access to your stored YZ ! Where is your bike being stored ?

I would fog the engine also.

:thumbsup:

You can get a fogging oil at any marine dealer as well if you have one local.

That's understandable. I don't think i could ever give up my 250f, even though i want a 450. Looks like i'll just have to get 2nd bike. That's a bummer you have to store it. Are you in the military?

O.K. I have to ask since nobody else is going to. What will you be doing for the next two years? Are you being deployed over seas?

All of the trouble? Do you ever work on your bike or do you take it to the dealer haha? Do you really think that list is a difficult task?

I do all of my own work, which includes getting it really clean to sell it every other year or two so I can buy a new one! :thumbsup:

I am not saying that you have to have a brand new bike all the time (although I would recommend it), but unless your bike is a restored classic, sell it. Your shiny bolt on parts can be sold on Ebay.

Personally, I have never understood how people can be so in love with these things and hold on to them for so long. One thing is for sure though, it does sound like you may have invested too much money in to it. :bonk:

About the invested money; I totally hear where your coming from. I have $600 bucks in my '08 YZ450f. I have an offer to trade my bike for a very clean, very well taken care of 06 YZ250 but idk if i can let go of the money i have invested in it..

O.K. I have to ask since nobody else is going to. What will you be doing for the next two years? Are you being deployed over seas?

No I'm going to serve a latter day saint mission in Columbus Ohio.