Should i polish my head?

I've heard that it's easy to screw up porting a head so I'm not gonna bother with that, but what about polishing the exhaust tracts? I read that its not good to polish the intake tracts because of something to do with the fuel mixing with the air.

Is it easy enough to polish the exhaust tracts myself?

Is it easy to screw up?

How much of an improvement will i notice?

Not too hard, yes, and not much at all.

Polishing the exhaust with out any other modifications will do very little for you. If you want to make a much better improvement in the exhaust port, just brush the carbon out and make a new exhaust gasket for a piece of bare 8 gauge solid copper ground wire (hardware store). The stock gasket overhangs the port somewhat severely when compressed.

Thanks for the quick reply gray. How much of a difference will i notice with using a copper wire gasket and clearing out the carbon? Do i have to take the head off to clean out the carbon? I was thinking i could make sure the exhaust valves are closed, use a soft dremel sanding bit to brush the carbon off, then blow it out with compressed air.

Or.. is it not worth the time and effort?

You won't get one HP out of it, and that means that it will make a less than 2% difference. Think you'll feel that?

The gasket is worth doing, especially if you have the pipe off for some other reason, but cleaning out the port is probably not necessary. I doubt there is enough build up in it to matter.

K. So why is it worth doing the gasket if it won't show any noticeable gains? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just asking questions haha

Don't do it.

haha k. thanks for the blunt answer :thumbsup:

K. So why is it worth doing the gasket if it won't show any noticeable gains? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just asking questions haha
Why do you think? If you can remove an obvious restriction from the exhaust port for $2 and 30 minutes work with no risk to the engine at all, why wouldn't you? The truth is most people can't "notice" the difference between normal and 2 horsepower on a YZ450, so if you're going to go on that alone, you won't do anything ever.