HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jboz

3rd gear - tooth missing & then some

4 posts in this topic

Well, my mechanic split my engine last night & found 3rd gear missing a tooth and 3-4 other gears messed up. Also a coupla shifting forks are beaten up. Luckly the crank & such look ok. Can't wait to get this bill. Are there any after market manufacturers for 426 tranny parts? If I have to go w/ OEM how can I be sure they last longer???? What causes this problem? Riding style (or lack of)??

thanks!

Boz

I read that the gears are not made by Yamaha and that early shipments of these parts for 2000 YZ (426 & 250) did not meet the hardness spec. and were replaced in later production runs. I bought my YZ new in December and the tranny blew up the next fall. I lost third gear dogs which ejected bottom shift fork into the crank, breaking the case and bending the crank. When I split the cases I discovered both fourth gears were pitted badly on the thrust face of every tooth.

So hopefully this was a one-time glitch in the Yamaha supply chain. But who really knows for sure?

I spent less than $300 replacing four gears, all the bearings, the shift fork and assorted washers, circlips, gaskets and o-rings. The crank and cases were what killed me.

I saw an ad once a few years back for wide ratio tranny sets available for the big four 250 MX bikes, that is the only time I’ve heard of aftermarket gear sets and I can’t remember the company. This doesn’t appear to be a widespread problem so I just crossed my fingers and installed OEM stuff.

i thought that yamaha 's prices were quite reasonable. i had my bike jump out of fifth gear. turned out the fork had bent over allowing the dogs to come out of the 3/5 connection.

when the new bits turned up the selector fork was VISIBLY beefed up. even the dogs had been altered slightly.

Taffy

Thanks guys! Hey Hick! double thanks - you keep replying when I post the same dang questions over & over about my engine. Thanks a ton. Gil - my mechaninc - found the missing tooth sitting in the bottom of the case, didn't touch much anything on the way down. Looks like 2 shifter forks are scard, we'll replace. A coupla of other gear's dogs are getting rounded so we'll replace them too.

Piston mic'ed at the big end of normal (.06 mm I think w/ .15 being too much) Debating whether to replace piston & rings or just the rings.

Good thing though.... clutch & basket look fine! woo. hoo.

Thanks again! CYa!