HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fastyz250

Cam Chain or not yet?

9 posts in this topic

Okay so i have had my new 2006 yz450f for about a month now and i absolutely love it the bike is so much nicer then my yz250 was. I was interested in replacing the cam chain but i pulled the valve cover off and the chain did not seem slack by any means so im not sure what to do at this point, replace it now or ride the season i only ride a few times a month mainly on weekends so i just wanted someone elses opinion. Also is there any point in getting a wiseco cam chain or stick with the original? all opinions welcome. and the gut that had it before me just put a new topend in the bike 25 hours ago so the piston and rings are perfect

It's never going to look slack. It has a tensioner to prevent that. What happens to them most often is that the links start binding up. You can't see that without removing it.

If you don't know when it was replaced, you should replace it. OEM should be OK. Aftermarket chains might be an improvement, but some of them are Chinese replacements while some others are from top Japanese manufacturers. Know the source or stick with Genuine Yamaha.

I'd do a leak down check on the cylinder to check the whole condition of the top end. If you have a feel for how many hours that are on the yzf450. While the cam chain is a good concern, check you valves and piston wear. Prevention is way cheaper than the cure for top and bottom end problems. I should post pics of why to replace crank bearings, my son's 450 sxf after I waited too long to r&r the crank.

okay thanks i will be ordering the cam chain this week then. i know there are links on how to replace them on here but is it that big of a deal to replace it myself?

+1 Hondaeasttoledo rules! I replaced mine a year ago, and just did a complete rebuild and it was only 17 bucks so why not? Very cheap insurance.

+1 Hondaeasttoledo rules! I replaced mine a year ago, and just did a complete rebuild and it was only 17 bucks so why not? Very cheap insurance.

Honda East Toledo ROCKS!!! call and ask for Jeff Dillon, they are by far the best ever parts outlet.

I dunno, fellas...... An OEM cam chain, for an '06, from Yamaha Sports Plaza in Fairview, OR is only $13.65. :thumbsup: Plus shipping fer all you furriners not here in Orygun...... :ride:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

But really, the cool thing I've read is that the TT store will match that price. I hope that's true. Since we all benefit from this website, and particularly this forum, kinda makes sense to to try the TT Store..... :bonk:

Jimmie