Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moto Andy

Glowing Red pipe

42 posts in this topic

So i've got an 07 yz450f, i put a Megabomb header on it...when i start the bike with the choke on and let it warm up the pipe gets super hot and starts glowing bright red, right off the block to the actual megabomb expansion. Once it's warm it goes back to it's natural color of metal. Is this something i should worry about? Is it just cuz the pipe isn't broken in yet? I never noticed this with the stock pipe.

I have the same pipe on my RMZ 450, never saw that before. It turns a nice blue color when running. Make sure you dont have an obstruction in pipe.

So i've got an 07 yz450f, i put a Megabomb header on it...when i start the bike with the choke on and let it warm up the pipe gets super hot and starts glowing bright red, right off the block to the actual megabomb expansion. Once it's warm it goes back to it's natural color of metal. Is this something i should worry about? Is it just cuz the pipe isn't broken in yet? I never noticed this with the stock pipe.

Welcome to the world of the Mega bomb, plus you'll burn the hell out of your riding pants.

Glowing header is normal. Do not let the bike just sit there idling.

This question is posted anew nearly ervery day.......

Glowing header is normal. Do not let the bike just sit there idling.

This question is posted anew nearly ervery day.......

+1. Your megabomb is titanium. Very thin.....gets 'redder' than your stock system.

cool thanks guys. i figured it was a thinner material but just wanted to be sure it wasn't something serious.

I guess I never noticed it getting like that on my bike. It always has a blueish color to it. I definately burn my boots and pants on it though. Is there something made for that pipe ( guard ) to stop the burn.

I think one of the conditions for signing up to this site should be to not ask this question, lol :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

I'm going to search all of your posts to see if you did or not. :thumbsup:

I read the stickies before I posted :bonk:, I'm sure ive asked my fair share of repetitive questions but I should be innocent of this one!

I think one of the conditions for signing up to this site should be to not ask this question, lol :bonk:

Hey thanks, gosh your so funny.:thumbsup::banana:

Welcome to the world of the Mega bomb, plus you'll burn the hell out of your riding pants.

Moose FMF Megabomb pipe guard by Eline (carbon Fiber) $99.95. Just found it, looks good and if it save my gear and my leg, worth it.

take your choke off and start riding it. Don't let it sit there with choke on or it will get really red, although i don't think it hurts it.

I noticed it on my bike when i had the knob pulled and it was idling in a dark garage, scared me at first too, and now I feel like an idiot for asking as well.

Moose FMF Megabomb pipe guard by Eline (carbon Fiber) $99.95. Just found it, looks good and if it save my gear and my leg, worth it.

Dude!! Thank you so much!! I will order one of these and try it out. I'm a woods rider and my biggest fear is getting caught under that HOT pipe. :thumbsup:

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1793&product_group_id=7350

ok, i dont know too much about this but i'll chime in out of frustration of not being able to help much on anything else! This site helped take the bog/ fabulous glowing red pipe out of my 06 yzf quad so here goes. What you probably have is a lean condition. This may be a result of your new header. However, it can be cured relatively inexpensive-ly. Your issue originates in the carb. Jetting and a/c (accelerator pump). My a/c pump needed a zip-ty mod AND a/c pump screw adjustment to get out the bog 2 3/4 turns in to be exact! I know its not very helpful to say that "some heat from the header is normal". I go with the spark plug to tell me the truth. however, I would definately look into what jets(main, pilot and leak), clip position, etc. everybody else in your altitude/climate is using. This condition can cause harm if left unattended for a length of time. Also you tube videos helped. type accelerator pump,yz yzf etc., they'll be there.

What you probably have is a lean condition.

I don't know...

...when i start the bike with the choke on and let it warm ...

...but somehow, I doubt it.